HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   Just Starting out...what should I do? (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/just-starting-out-what-should-i-do-1213/)

00civiclx 09-26-2004 09:39 PM

Just Starting out...what should I do?

Hey this is my first post, and I am getting my mom's civic within the next month ;) i have about 1000 to spend and i have decided to spend half on exterior and sound, and half of performance (maybe a little more on exterior/sound). so what can I do first that isn't very expensive to get some more power out of it? thanks a lot guys.

sacicons 09-26-2004 10:16 PM

RE: Just Starting out...what should I do?

honestly, with that kind of money, id do a coilover system, a set of good brake pads, and some stainless steel brake lines. get the braking and handling to handle the power you will later make, then start saving for a motor swap or turbo or something. maybe get a head unit and a sub along the way. what are your plans with the car? just a daily driver? or are you gonna try to surprise a few v8s at the drag strip with your 4-door? maybe even an auto-x car. cause 500 wont do much for your performance, but $1000 will do a lot.

Deleted User 09-26-2004 11:36 PM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

00civiclx 09-27-2004 06:40 PM

well, i already bought subs the other day in a case (212). and my friend gave me his power amp. and my mom said she would buy a head unit for me (since the car was bought without any cd/cassette options). thanks a lot guys. what do you suggest i do for performance with my money. i have a steady job at 8 bucks an hour, and im still just 16 so i have no regular payments to make. thanks a lot guys.

00civiclx 10-11-2004 02:20 PM

ok, i figured out that by may/june i should have about 3500-4000 dollars. but i got to keep about 1000 for safety (my own plan, not stricly enforced or anything). what should i do first though as far as the engine goes? should i just do a motor swap? and if i do this, do i have to start getting parts for the car i have, or for whatever car that was for, like cool air. also, any alarm systems you guys know of and how they work, i am really interested in getting one soon. thanks a lot guys.

sacicons 10-12-2004 06:36 PM

first things first, get a high quality viper or clifford alarm. get a back-up battery, and an extra siren, to distinguish your sound from everyone elses. then like i said before, get a good coilover setup like the Tokico illumina Rs or Tein basic (or the Super Street if you plan on autocrossing) then set up the brakes. get the car ready to handle the extra speed that you will get when you do the power upgrades. id suggest getting a traction bar, all of the strut braces, integra (or 99-00 si) brakes W/ good pads and SS brake lines. then a GOOD set of tires, no bigger than 17". believe me, do all the other stuff before the power. then all the little stuff will be done and you can save up and do the swap and have a beast as soon as the motor is in.