HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   LS or GSR Swap (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/ls-gsr-swap-28384/)

sway2003 09-03-2006 09:59 PM

LS or GSR Swap

I know that the LS vs. GSR has been argued thousands of times, but I am beginning a project motor for my 97 ex that I've come across a hangup. I was given a B18A1 from a buddy that was out of a 91 integra. I was told that it overheated and didnt know what shape the head or motor was in. I tore into the motor and had it tested along with the head and everything came back clear. Well I got to blueprinting my ideas and now I'm lost on what will I have to do to get this OBD0 motor compatable with my OBD2 car. Plus, the tranny is cable, while I have a hydrolic tranny with my d16. I know the hydro to cable swap isnt hard, but am wondering if the headache is worth building that motor, or if I should just sell it, and buy a B18c1 or b18c5 with an LSD hydro tranny. Either way I go, I plan on going turbo with hondata, cams, low comp. pistons, port and polish the head, etc. I want to be able to boost to about 18 psi safely so the motor will be built. I just want to know for the money and headache should I get the ls rewired with new ecu, etc. or just get an OBD1 or OBD2 gsr or type r swap?

StifflersMom 09-05-2006 09:30 AM

RE: LS or GSR Swap

if you plan on passing emissions.....well that motor won't be legal

sway2003 09-05-2006 08:06 PM

yea, I live in florida though so I wont have to worry about emissions. I talked to a local tuner and they said that in order to go from OBD2 down to OBD0 isnt hard. I would need either an OBD1 intake manifold with an ECU conversion harness, or get an OBD2 intake manifold and it should be plug and play basically. I plan on running hondata, and they said to check compatablilty on their website for whatever ECU I will be using.

pWnEdU 09-06-2006 05:31 PM

If you're going to boost right away, I would go with the LS. If you're not sure or you plan on going N/A I would go GSR.

Nail I3unny 09-06-2006 05:59 PM

what are you planning to do with this car?

sway2003 09-06-2006 09:16 PM

My plans are to turbo the B18 and keep it an everyday driver, but where I can take it out and have some fun with it. I plan on building the bottom end with either SRP, JE, or Wiseco low cp, forged rods, bearings etc. and keeping the stock crank. Crower Stage 2 turbo cams, adjustable cam gears, Crower 3 angled valves, with retainers and springs, port and polished head. Edelbrock TB and spacer, ITR style intake manifold. T3/T4 turbo kit (DIY), and probably running Hondata. I have had then entire motor planned out, where I'm getting the work done, etc. I've just been researching the ECU and electrical conversions I'll have to do to convert an OBD0 motor into a current OBD2 car.

pWnEdU 09-07-2006 04:24 AM

Oh, well if you're going to be building the entire engine anyways, just get the GSR. The reason I recommended the LS is because it already has lower compression.... but if you're changing the pistons anyways, you might as well have the better GSR head.

sway2003 09-07-2006 06:41 AM

well since I already have the ls motor, if I get a gsr head, add VTEC to a chipped ECU, what else would I need? I know you have to have add an oil line to the vtec head, would I have to get a vtec engine harness?

Nail I3unny 09-07-2006 03:06 PM

the b18a is basically worthless unless you want to deal with a ton of emissions **** and mods to your car and the engine.

if you're going with a DD then get a GSR. the biggest thing about the LS that people like is the fact that it has a less square bore/stroke ratio and puts out more tq than the GSR will at the same HP levels...but any gain you'd see from torque at DD levels would be heavily negated by the sheer power you'd see from a GSR.

slovic94 09-07-2006 03:46 PM

i'd go ls vtec with the b16 head. have u seen some of the numbers as far as hp and tq stock. and so much cheaper than a jdm b16.