Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

ls vtec

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 12:43 AM
Default ls vtec

Well I had a b18b given to me a while ago...but due to holidays and stuff I havent been able to put any money into it until now

So the questions I have are...

What is the best tranny for a ls vtec engine and what kinda compression pistons should I get since I do not plan on boosting? As much as i would love to turbo, i just cant afford to go through all that and lose alot of money if something goes wrong

This is going in a 92 eg just to let everyone know

Old 03-24-2007, 11:05 AM
Banned
Default RE: ls vtec

well its all depends what u want 2 do on my civic im working on im using ls motor and la tranny but b16, b18gsr,or lsd trans typr r trans are most common but i have stock, header, fuel rail the common stuff but if u plan 2 boost change the oil pump to a typr r if u plan 2 boost u can used stock up 2 11psi with a gruard block 7 without it i done this and everything works out perfect 4 me

Old 03-24-2007, 11:11 AM
HCF Member

you don't need to swap out the pistons if you don't plan on boosting.

if you want higher compression, however, look into some type R pistons which have the domed heads that will bump up the compression a lot.

and if you do put in type r pistons, look into aftermarket valves, springs and retainers and aftermarket cams such as toda, skunk2 or blox.

but if you have an EG, an ls-vtec swap should be pretty decent as is.

Old 03-24-2007, 02:53 PM

yeah...i figured bumping up the compression would give me a few more ponys...and yes i plan on putting an aftermarket cam with springs and retainers

edit....what kind of compression ratio would type r pistons give me?

Old 03-24-2007, 04:34 PM

a friend of mine put together a nice motor using an LS block. He used type r pistons, titanium exhaust valves, springs, retainers, he kept the ls head and had it decked, port & polished and he used a skunk 2 intake mani, throttle body, rc 440's, crane stage 4 cams, JDM header. His set up runs real nice. Good luck to you, you're gonna be spending some $$$ lol

Old 03-24-2007, 06:47 PM

I definately do not wanna go as aggressive as a stage 4 cam...this is my dd were talking about

The only mods I have in mind really are higher compression pistons, cam, valves, springs retainers, intake mani, tb, cai, and full exhaust.

For pistons and cams I might just stick with the oem type r or gsr...depending on prices.

Possibly get it tuned after all is done if I can find someone in my area.

But, I wanna know what kind of compression ratio I would be looking at with type r or gsr, or should want to get to.

Old 03-24-2007, 11:51 PM
HCF Member

type r pistons are severely domed. they bump up the compression beyond 11 psi if I remember correctly.

the pistons are expensive too, but i think there are some aftermarket alternatives.

the reason the type r pistons are so beloved is because they have side coatings that make them more durable to high rpm stress. but since you have a regular ls block you won't be hitting vtec highs.

Old 03-25-2007, 10:56 AM

so a good n/a compression ratio for a dd would be around 11:1

or should I want higher if I have the budget to get better pistons?

Old 03-25-2007, 11:57 AM

You can vary compression anywhere from 10:1-13:1 using USDM pistons purchased from any Honda/Acura parts dealer, or from Topline (but I'm not sure of the quality on these). Also, I could be wrong, but I wouldn't doubt it if any OEM piston would hold up as well asType-Rs. Type-R = hype.

http://zealautowerks.com/

Old 03-25-2007, 12:06 PM
Recognized HCF Member

anything over 11.1 i would start running higher octane gas than 91

Quick Reply: ls vtec