HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   Machine Shop Bill...Ripped Off? (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/machine-shop-bill-ripped-off-70365/)

bcrichguitars 10-03-2008 02:22 PM

Machine Shop Bill...Ripped Off?

So first off the engine is a JDM D15B Vtec. The parts I supplied them with are:
75.5mm Overbored Vitara Pistons (Low Compression), Forged I-Beam Connecting Rods with ARP Rod Bolts, 75.5mm Cometic Head Gasket, ARP Headstuds, AEM Tru-Timing Adjustable Cam Gear, Crower Stage 2 Turbo Cam, Crower Valve Springs & Titanium Retainers, water pump & timing belt and a few gaskets and seals. Heres the bill:

Parts:
1-Main Bearings ($62.61)
4-Rod Bearings ($38.68)
1-Thrust Bearing ($10.99)
16-Valve Seals ($34.40)
1-Conversion Gasket Set ($43.73)
1-Oil Pump ($196.57)
1-Intake Gasket Set ($22.92)
4-Injector Seals ($50.68)
1-Filter Assem Spool Valve($37.67)
1-Filter Assem Selenoid ($26.01)

PARTS TOTAL ($524.26)

Labour:
A) Remove/Replace External Accesories (Transmission, tin, intake, exhaust, distributer,
turbo, ect) ($800)
B) Dissasemble Long Block + Degrease ($125)
C) Bore & Hone Block ($128
D) Surface Block ($110)
E) Grind crankshaft 4 cyl Smains ($229)
F) Recondition 4cyl 16V Alum Cyl Head ($360)
G) Assemble Performance Long Block ($450)
H) Balance Rotating Assembly ($400)
I) Polish Rocker Shafts+Assembly/Rockers ($100)
J) Weld Oil Pan Bung (From the oil return line, said it was leaking oil and badly welded) ($100)

TOTAL LABOUR = $2802
+ Freight ($32)
+ Enviro Fee ($56)
+ Shop Fee ($112)
+ GST ($176.32)

TOTAL BILL= $3702. 70

Seems extremely high, nothing I could really do about it but pay it. Glad to have my engine back but choked about this bill. I was quoted $2100. They told me 2-3 weeks and it took them 6 weeks.
Comments?

xsteinbachx 10-03-2008 02:28 PM

do you have the quote in writting?

edit*

I got this from a friend
Jennie says:
If the quote is in writing, and there is nothing stating that the quote is subject to change, then they have to stick to the original quote.

Jennie says:
was anything signed before the work commenced?

§ţέϊή³ - says:
what if it wasnt signed?

Jennie says:
still - if they put the quote in writing and there is nothing that mentions subject to change, or anything along those lines, then the written quote can be treated like a contract and there is something he can do

Jennie says:
but its a really hard situation, because a lot of mechanics cover their asses for this type of thing by making a quote non-guarunteed due to labour and part shipping etc.

doko 10-03-2008 02:32 PM

This is where knowing people comes in handy... sounds to me like you where taken for a ride but it also depends where your from. Always get more than one quote and compare.

Still don't take my word for it, see what others think as well

bcrichguitars 10-03-2008 02:48 PM

I called many shops and this shop had the best quote. I have it in writing, but they wouldn't give me that price because they had to add those parts and other fees.

RonJ 10-03-2008 03:06 PM

They low balled you on price and then jacked it up when the job was done. Start by making an appointment with the manager and discussing your concerns with him/her. If you still feel like you were ripped off, then consider filing the issue with small claims court.

magic_mohawk 10-03-2008 05:24 PM

Ouch, hate to see that happen. I hate when people take advantage of others. Hopefully something can be worked out. Sounds way high to me also, but then again, I normally put everything together myself.

bcrichguitars 10-03-2008 08:18 PM

I tried working it down with the guy today before I paid it, he talked to his boss. They said there is only so much they can do, they took a few percent off shop fee and enviro fee.
All the parts have correct prices, and I dont think there is anything I can do to prove how much labour every step took. Kinda got screwed I guess, happy to have my engine back.

trustdestruction 10-04-2008 12:24 AM

yea, on the bright side you got your shiz back

RonJ 10-04-2008 05:25 AM

Paying $3700 for a job quoted at $2100 is a hard pill to swallow. Someone at the shop dropped the ball by not informing you of the enormous cost over run prior to initiating the engine work. Have the boss clearly explain the giant cost jump from their quote and have him/her explain why you were not told of this change prior to them doing the job. The shop's original cost estimate puts you in the driver's seat on this issue.

gwl 10-15-2008 08:43 PM

It does seems high, you're pretty much at their mercy when additional parts/labor are added. I just had a stock rebuild on my motor and had a hard time deciding when to get done. There are a bunch cheap places around here, but I decided to go a place where they rebuilt my small block chevy few years back. They weren't the cheapest but they been around over 30 years and do quality work.