HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   making my 98 hx quicker (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/making-my-98-hx-quicker-69239/)

ironfist310 08-24-2008 03:30 PM

making my 98 hx quicker

hey guys im new to this forum. I want to start learning alot about hondas now that i got one. i got a problem, a big one.

my 1998 honda civic hx with a single cam d16y5 engine. THE PROBLEM IS ITS NOT STICK SHIFT. plus i live in LA so a stick will be hell.

i know that limits me alot and i really dont want to do a tranny switch.
so if you guys could give me some tips on how to make it quicker without doing a tranny swap. id really appreciate it. maybe making it a dual cam but i dont think i can do that cuz its an inline four right? or putting a high performance intake. IDK-anything u could help me with....

macbeth18288 08-24-2008 06:15 PM

Nothing (like intake, exhaust, header) is going to give you real gains. so your best bet would be forced induction, but then again on an auto, kinda useless, in my opinion.

9coupe3 08-25-2008 12:15 PM

maybe making it a dual cam but i dont think i can do that cuz its an inline four right?

Yes they do make Dual cam 4 cylinders. DOHC, I do not know a lot about Hondas yet either, but I think the B series are DOHC ( Double Over Head Cam )motors. You can still turbo an auto, just the turbo's are usually smaller and a little lazier at spooling. If you can find a looser torque convertor with a higher stall speed that will help a lot. I have seen some very fast automatic turbo cars, but the tranny will have to be built to handle the power. I could be wrong to some guys but it is what I know, and other people have their opinions also. Good luck with whatever you do.

macbeth18288 08-25-2008 12:32 PM

I never said you COULDN'T boost an auto, but in my opinion, it's just a 'dumb' idea.

FlipHKD720 08-25-2008 01:00 PM

it's been done, but manual is always HIGHLY preferred.

addiction2bass 08-25-2008 01:04 PM

ya with a automatic.... you wont ever feel any real gains, only on the butt dyno maybe.

a manual swap is the easiest way to gain power and performance!
i know my 99nice is doggy dodo slow auto and my 96turd manual feels alot faster! even with 20HP less without the vtec.
otherwise your best way for performance is a total DOHC with auto swap.

arust45 08-25-2008 11:54 PM

You're kinda stuck in a ****ty place. I would consider trade/sell. Ever consider getting a street bike? that would make LA traffic much less hassle. Otherwise it'll cost you a pretty penny to get noticeable gains.
________
NAUGHTY_WILDBABE LIVE

9coupe3 08-26-2008 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by macbeth18288 (Post 584917)
I never said you COULDN'T boost an auto, but in my opinion, it's just a 'dumb' idea.

I did not say you did, but I have seen a few auto DSM's ( I know not a Honda) run in the low 10's. A turbo will add good power even to an auto but a looser stall will be needed, but in turn you lose some driveability. I agree with the other guys a stick is better. Just sell your car and buy a 5 speed more in mind of what you want. Good luck with whichever route you decide to go.

ironfist310 08-27-2008 01:31 AM

i know a stick is the best way to go. i just wnated to see my options before i resort ot that. i guess ima just keep it stock cuz its so good on gas, and then ima buy me an old school porsche 911 restore the whole engine and put turbos and smoke everything with 4 wheels. If im gonna spent money might as well spend it on a car i actually want to keep for a long time. F the BS!

sittinSideways 09-13-2008 02:26 PM

Good thinking. Modified automatics are useless.