HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   Mini-me questions (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/mini-me-questions-69584/)

WellFedHobo 09-06-2008 07:26 PM

Mini-me questions

I'm looking into different ways to gain power other than a full blown turbo project or swap for a DOHC engine, so I need some info from you guys. (I don't have the cash flow for a turbo project or major swap... yet...)

I need to know more about the engines themselves, I guess. I have a Y7. My local salvage yard occasionally gets Y8s but more often gets Z6s. I know that vtec engines have more HP, but is that only at high RPMs? If I never pass the point where Vtec kicks in, would the difference between a Y7 and a Y8 (or Y7 and Z6) really matter?

And would I run into more problems doing a Z6 swap because of the ODB1/ODB2 difference? Either way, I'd need the vtec solenoid, ecu, and whatever else. Is it an easy issue to work around?

trustdestruction 09-06-2008 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by itinerant (Post 587547)
I know that vtec engines have more HP, but is that only at high RPMs?

yes, only past 4800rpm for Z6, and a little higher rpm for Y8 (can't remember exact number, i'm thinking it's 5000rpm)

If I never pass the point where Vtec kicks in, would the difference between a Y7 and a Y8 (or Y7 and Z6) really matter?

no
but if you never plan on passing the point where VTEC would kick in, there's no reason for you to worry about HP, because for anything you need HP for (such as drag racing), you will be going above that RPM with either motor (assuming you know what you're doing)

And would I run into more problems doing a Z6 swap because of the ODB1/ODB2 difference? Either way, I'd need the vtec solenoid, ecu, and whatever else. Is it an easy issue to work around?

If you did a Z6 mini-me on your engine these are your 2 wiring options.
1. Z6 wiring harness
2. run your own VTEC wires, buy a OBD2 to OBD1 ECU conversion harness, and buy a OBD2-OBD1 Distributor conversion harness (the 2 conversion harnesses can be found on phearable.net)

If you do the Z6, you will not pass smog/emissions testing (not sure if that matters to you)

sittinSideways 09-13-2008 02:23 PM

If your looking for good ways to get power from your engine, start with the exhaust system. Get a catback and headers. Then get a CAI. This is probably a 30 HP boost altogether.

trustdestruction 09-13-2008 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by sittinSideways (Post 588935)
If your looking for good ways to get power from your engine, start with the exhaust system. Get a catback and headers. Then get a CAI. This is probably a 30 HP boost altogether.

30HP? Wrong

more like 15-20 tops

LarsonSi_0091 09-13-2008 08:26 PM

yea probably around 10 to the wheels

sittinSideways 09-16-2008 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by trustdestruction (Post 588979)
30HP? Wrong

more like 15-20 tops

actually you're right, i didn't estimate it well

trustdestruction 09-16-2008 07:38 PM

oh and in case i came off as a jerk (not sure if i did) i wasn't trying to be mean about it