HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   Mini-Me vs. z6 Swap (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/mini-me-vs-z6-swap-34884/)

FlipHKD720 12-23-2006 10:26 PM

Mini-Me vs. z6 Swap

so yea i've been really pretty stuck on getting a b16a2 swap this spring. It's alot of money, but i got friends that work at auto shops and one of my friends with a lift in his garage, so i know i could get it done. I've been lookin at the specs of the b16, and also of the z6. Yea the z6 is just a SOHC, and i would like it alot if i could get a DOHC for my Civ, but i'm thinkin z6 is the way to go because of a few reasons: ALMOST the same amount of power (or so i read and so i hear), direct swap (stay in the D series, i have a y7 right now), i can use myheader/exhaust that i already have now,and of coursea hell of alot cheaper.

And also, i was considering doin the mini-me instead of the whole swap, but it seems like for like a few hundred dollars more, i could just havea new engine that i could swap in (z6).

So you guys agree the z6 swap is the way to go? Or do you think i should save up for the b16, or just mini-me it?

And if i swap, what tranny would u reccommend? Is the OEM tranny that comes iwth the z6 good or should i upgrade that to while i'm in there?

Djohnsto 12-23-2006 11:19 PM

RE: Mini-Me vs. z6 Swap

go with the b18b and if you want vtec jus swap heads, but the b18b is a strong motor with a good amount torque and hp. just my two cents

Pete 12-23-2006 11:22 PM

I was going to get a B16, but instead I got the B18C, and I must say, its just as quick as the turbo D I had.

Djohnsto 12-23-2006 11:34 PM

I've got a b18b right now im trying to build but birthdays and chirstmas really hurt my spending money and credit cards so it looks like it will be prolonged for even longer now so i dont have any real experience with the b18b other than looking at it in my garage but you can usually get the complete block for around 800.

Marty 12-24-2006 12:23 AM

B16's suck

FlipHKD720 12-24-2006 12:38 AM

ORIGINAL: Marty

B16's suck
lol thanks for that info Marty.

I couldnt find a b16a2 anywhere for cheaper than like $1500 man....where did u get the block for $800?

Street Sniper 12-24-2006 06:29 AM

I guess if you consider 35hp "almost", then yeah, the z6 almost has the same amount of power as a b16.

Are you staying NA or are you planning to turbo? How much power do you need? The ceiling for NA power out of a D is very close to the stock power of a B. Can you say monster compression?

You actually get a small bump in compression over a z6 with a mini-me, and for a hell of a lot cheaper. Far be it from me to advocate dropping the D, but if you aren't going to be happy with the relatively low ceiling of the single slammer then I say mini-me for now, locate an EX tranny and save for the dual cam... or turbo that sum'bitch.

FlipHKD720 12-24-2006 10:41 AM

mini me, EX tranny, and im gettin a z6 intake mani from Ej1 already.

And after that it's either boost or B series swap i guess

Marty 12-24-2006 10:50 AM

with a mini me, transmission swap, cam upgrade, and a lil bit of tuning(around $800 to $1000 total for everything) you can have B16 + bolt on's power plus the tq curve on a B16 is a absolute joke. You have to rev the piss out of it to be going anywhere. I with a Y7, Y8 intake mani, bolt on's, and good driving could stay nose to nose with a 99/00 SI and I was in a sedan.

Kedawei 12-24-2006 11:56 AM

The ONLY nice thing about a B16 that I've found is the stock block can withstand/make a lot of power when boosted. Still, I'd only ever consider one if it was dirt cheap, like D series cheap, and I'd never consider one if I didn't plan on boosting. I think a boosted D would meet your needs, 200-250whp stock block, 400-500 with rods/pistons.