HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   Misfire w/o CEL? (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/misfire-w-o-cel-56441/)

asdfbrendan 12-03-2007 03:31 PM

RE: Misfire w/o CEL?

I'm gonna check the timing, go down the misfire diagnosis list/chart, and then try and get my hands on a scanner. I recently replaced my IACV w/ a used one I purchased. I'm not sure how clean it was, so I'll start there. What should I use to clean it? Brake cleaner?

RonJ 12-03-2007 04:50 PM

Sounds like a good plan. I've heard carburetor cleaner is the way to go for the IACV.

asdfbrendan 12-06-2007 05:48 PM

Alright, here's my plan for the weekend:

Replace Dizzy cap and rotor
Clean TB and IACV
Seafoam that bitch

asdfbrendan 12-18-2007 07:15 AM

Update

1.) Replaced cap and rotor; Cap had what appeared to be grit/build-up on one of the four terminals. And the rotor appeared brown and discolored (burned?).

2.) Cleaned out IACV w/ carb cleaner (alot of black **** came flying out).

3.) Seafoamed it.

Car seems to be running much better now. Popping/shuddering is 90% gone...but it's not 100% yet. Now the car seems to idle a little too low <500 rpm (which I assume is the cause of the occasional shudder/near stall). Hopefully today I'll be able to tweak the idle so it runs a little higher. Gas mileage seems much improved and the new wideband O2 hasn't thrown any CELs yet. I'm crossing my fingers adjusting the idle screw will fix my problem. Thanks again for your input, RonJ!

RonJ 12-18-2007 07:39 AM

That's great news! I look forward to hearing that the engine's running 100% when the idle is adjusted.

asdfbrendan 12-20-2007 07:24 AM

Got another question...what's the name of the goop used to keep the idle screw from coming out? I'm assuming once I adjust it I'll need to re-goop it, right?

RonJ 12-20-2007 07:36 AM

ORIGINAL: asdfbrendan

Got another question...what's the name of the goop used to keep the idle screw from coming out? I'm assuming once I adjust it I'll need to re-goop it, right?

Not sure. The idle screw for my 97 Civic is simply protected by a plastic cap insert.

jamned 12-20-2007 10:55 AM

The idle screw for my 87 (carbed) civic is unprotected under the air cleaner box (which is on top of the carb). I guess the air cleaner box keeps most stuff from touching it.

The idle screw on my 86 (FI) crx is unprotected. It's pretty exposed on the side of the throttle body. If you're worried about vibration loosening the screw, you could buy some threadlocker and apply it to the screw. I'd first drive for a week or two just to see if vibration (or anything else) would offset the screw.