HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   mods for a 1994 lx civic (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/mods-1994-lx-civic-536/)

kobejelbryant8 06-25-2004 10:38 PM

mods for a 1994 lx civic

Does anyone know of good engine mods for my 1994 honda civic lx sedan with a d15b7 engine? I do not know that much about cars, and i just bought the car( only 16). I want the car to be faster. It only has 50,000 miles on the engine. Any ideas for mods would be greatly appreciated.

sacicons 06-28-2004 10:21 PM

RE: mods for a 1994 lx civic

if you might end up doing a turbo, dont do an intake or header, as these will be replaced with the turbo kit, if you are doing a motor swap in the future, dont get the headers, some intakes will work with both motors though. that said, for the most power and fun-to-drive-factor, i'd suggest an intake and cat-back exhaust system, then upgrade the cat. unless your spark plug wires are bad, dont get performance ones, there is little or no gain, sometimes even losses with them unless you are running boost. you will probably be tempted to use nitrous for a quick power fix. this isnt a bad idea if you are only into drag racing at a track. i dont suggest using it on open roads as the more you use it the more chance you have at hurting something, ive seen great things done on that same motor in my dx coupe with nitrous, it went from 17.2 to a best of 15.2 with only a 40 shot, and that is the most i would suggest you use on a d-series honda motor. the down side is that the power is only there when you have the bottle on and ready and you hit the switch, unlike motor swaps, turbos, and superchargers, which are always on hand. also, nitrous gets very expensive to keep refilling. my advice is a turbo kit, or a b-series motor swap, either way, start pinching pennies.

kobejelbryant8 06-29-2004 10:24 AM

Thanks for the help. Right now i am leaning more towards buying a AEM cold air intake, new DC 4-2-1, and an exhuast. Is the air intake and headers a good choice (the brands)? Aslo, do you know of some good exhuast brands? Do you know if the brand Borla is a good ? Also, i am looking for an exhuast that is not too loud.

iceman56 06-29-2004 08:48 PM

you mentioned exhaust and 98lxs post came to mind. He just got done installing the magnaflow on his ride. You should check out his thread if that's the route you're gonna take. DC makes great headers. Basically, when people start making one-offs of a brand, you can bet it's good (i.e. "DC style headers").

sacicons 06-29-2004 09:30 PM

the aem cai is one of the best things you could get for your car, and the dc headers are a very good choice. borla is pretty good but i highly suggest the greddy evolution, it is very quiet, not a lot of noise, it just sounds powerful, and all the dynos ive seen show it making as much or more power than most brands. its also very easy to install. when you find your prices on these, let me know, ill see if i can beat them(a friend is a dealer), i can get mad deals on rota wheels and some skunk2 stuff, so let me know.

hoodlum 08-30-2004 04:47 PM

sacicons:

What kind of price can your friend do on a GReddy evolution exhaust system for a 93 civic LX. I am in the immediate market for this and a DC stainless 4-2-1 header. Let me know.

niteryder 08-31-2004 06:18 PM

well i have a dc 4-2-1 header for sale and an aem short ram intake and a front mount intkae, if u want either...get at me