HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   Motor Questions (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/motor-questions-42111/)

mrkbnt 04-12-2007 12:35 AM

Motor Questions

I have been pndering the thought of puting a new motor and tranny (Manuall) in my 95 civic 4 door lately. I want to put a DOHC VTEC in it but I am not familuar with allot of models or anything. I have looked at some used motors on Craigslist, but have no idea what to look for. The main reason I want to do this is becuase the motor I have now (1.5 16valve non-vtec) has a compression reading of 100, 125, 125, and 80 PSI. I know the 125's are decent but the 100 and 80 concern me. And, I have a main bearing noise in the tranny plus all sorts of whining in certain gears. I would pull the tranny out and fix the main bearing noise, but the whining makes me belive that there is something else going on, and every single bolt under the hood is completely rusted, and the fact that the motor is throwing red flags I figure I would just start looking into putting a more powerfull motor and tranny combo in. So if anyone can please let me know what motor should I look for and Tranny combo. And what do I have to do to put a VTEC in a non-vtec car. I would greatly appreciate it. Thank You.
[align=left] [/align]

danomatic93 04-12-2007 02:46 AM

RE: Motor Questions

To do the non-VTEC to VTEC swap, look up "mini-me" swap.

mrkbnt 04-12-2007 05:14 PM

Thanks, Is that on here somewhere? Also, what model of motor should I look for? I geuss I am looking for the most power stock. and I am not familuar with what b series, k or d searies means exactly. Thanks again.

johnny 04-12-2007 07:02 PM

If your looking for DOHC, Forget D series, as they are all SOHC. That leaves your B-series and your K series. K series is very expensive, but i've been told it's worth it. I'd go with a B series. Not TOO expensive but they have good power. Look up B series on WIkipedia.

Forty04 04-13-2007 07:20 AM

ORIGINAL: johnny

If your looking for DOHC, Forget D series, as they are all SOHC. That leaves your B-series and your K series. K series is very expensive, but i've been told it's worth it. I'd go with a B series. Not TOO expensive but they have good power. Look up B series on WIkipedia.
B, F, H, K are all DOHC series motors

There is one Dseries DOHC as well, the zc, but it doesnt measure up the bigger dogs^

If I was going to swap, I'd skip right past the b-series, and get an f20b or an h22. K's are so freakin expensive, although like Johnny said, they are worth it (low 13's/high 12's N/A w/bolt ons and kpro)

johnny 04-13-2007 07:50 AM

ORIGINAL: Forty04

ORIGINAL: johnny

B, F, H, K are all DOHC series motors

There is one Dseries DOHC as well, the zc, but it doesnt measure up the bigger dogs^

If I was going to swap, I'd skip right past the b-series, and get an f20b or an h22. K's are so freakin expensive, although like Johnny said, they are worth it (low 13's/high 12's N/A w/bolt ons and kpro)
Thanks Forty for adding that. I forgot about the H22. I wouldnt go with an H22 becuase it's heavy and i've been told it's hard to put in your engine bay. Although i really don't know much about the F series, Wikipedia is your friend.

mrkbnt 04-13-2007 11:06 AM

Wow, Wikipedia has it all. Thanks for pointing that out to me. The F20B looks pretty good. I would like to get around 200HP. But I also found out info about the motor I have now. The D15B7 Motor which has 103HP Stock. I am wondering if it would be better and less costly to slap a D15 or a D16 VTEC head on the block I have now. I probably wont get 200HP right off the bat. But while I have the head off I could change the rods and Pistons and make it ready for a turbo set up. Allthough acording to Wikipedia the D series motor will hold up to about 220HP upgrade and I could probably put aturbo on there right now and probably be safe with controlling the boost to only add 100HP.

Now the question I have is, when Wikipedia says the term "Mini Me" are they talking about a head swap like I am thinking of doing? Or is it more just adding a VTEC to a Non-Vtec car? And to do that do I have to change the actuall computer? Or just add wires to it?

Or, so you guys think it would be better to just go with a B or F series motor? Thanks again.

blackmetal619 04-13-2007 11:17 AM

well when they talk about a mini me, its most likely a head swap to put vtec in a non vtec engine (unless someone wanted to get rid of vtec)?

mrkbnt 04-13-2007 11:35 AM

Hmm, I looked at the Mini Me description on Wikipedia again, and it said it is usually a swap for "D16A6 and D16Z6 or D16Y7 and D16Y8 engines. The Z6 and Y8 heads are VTEC" Does this mean that D16 heads are only interchangable with D16 blocks? I geuss I am trying to figure out if I can put a D16Z6 D16Y8 Head on my D15B7 Block. Oy any D series VTEC Head on my block. Anyone know?

FlipHKD720 04-13-2007 11:38 AM

^ i think i've heard of swapping a d16 head onto a b15 block. Pretty sure it can be done, anyone confirm that?