Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

My Civic suddenly pings !!

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2005, 12:20 AM
Default My Civic suddenly pings !!

My 1994 Civic starts pinging all of the sudden around 3k-4k RPM during one of my trip to the mountain. If it was a carbon buildup I would thought the pinging grows gradually?

So far I have:

1. Drain the fuel to rule out bad petrol problem

2. Retard the ignition waaaaay back

3. Checked fuel injectors

4. Clean using injector cleaner & also spray heaps of carb cleaner into throttle body

5. Use RON 95 fuel (premium)

6. Replaced all spark plugs & check, clean distributor & rotor.

All did not fix the problem. What could have caused this ?

Andi

Old 05-04-2005, 01:49 AM
Default RE: My Civic suddenly pings !!

u might be running lean for some reason.

Old 05-04-2005, 05:06 AM
HCF Member

got any people that dont particularly like you? any signs of sugar or other contaminate? what ignition system do you have? could be your reluctor is starting to fail, if one fin is to short you would not fire correctly causing fuel buildup/ping. check coolant also, heat sounds same, and sometimes you can only hear it in a specific range / rpm. need more info on your ride to trouble shoot it properly. ie; what year, what ignition type,
1 last idea, try premium fuel and add a bottle of techron, a freind of mine accidently put mixed fuel in his vette, and ran like cr@p, lurching and sputtering, everybody kept telling him horror stories, and you had better do this or that, all extremes. i suggested the techron, cost $7.00 us, no labor, his car now runs better than before, a true puor in solution

Old 05-04-2005, 07:05 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: jwsimons

got any people that dont particularly like you?
lol oh thats a bitchin pain in the ****...i had a few friends and we kinda had a falling out...ended up with a whole fricken can of Cheez Whiz in my gas tank

Old 05-04-2005, 07:49 PM
HCF Member

im fortunate on this one, i've only heard story's. dont have any first hand knowledge with auto vandals other than the occassional stereo,
but java man, does any of this ring a bell for you? trouble shooting is trial and error . whats up? any changes made yet?
retarding the ignition can still give a preignite ping if go to far your preigniting the previous chamber, get it back to spec

Old 05-04-2005, 11:56 PM

ORIGINAL: jwsimons

got any people that dont particularly like you? any signs of sugar or other contaminate? what ignition system do you have? could be your reluctor is starting to fail, if one fin is to short you would not fire correctly causing fuel buildup/ping. check coolant also, heat sounds same, and sometimes you can only hear it in a specific range / rpm. need more info on your ride to trouble shoot it properly. ie; what year, what ignition type,
1 last idea, try premium fuel and add a bottle of techron, a freind of mine accidently put mixed fuel in his vette, and ran like cr@p, lurching and sputtering, everybody kept telling him horror stories, and you had better do this or that, all extremes. i suggested the techron, cost $7.00 us, no labor, his car now runs better than before, a true puor in solution
The pinging is in specific range which is 3000-4000 rpm. Sugars has been ruled out as I've emptied the gas tank 3-4 times (initially suspected water). Cooling system is fine and no engine overheats. My civic is year 1994, fuel injected and electronic ignition (no more mechanical vacuum advancer).

Old 05-05-2005, 12:24 AM
HCF Member

hmmmmm....lets see...3-4,000 rpm.. in every gear? uphill, downhill, does a load change the range of ping? going uphill sooner, downhill later? or does it stay consistant,allways 3-4,000?if that is the case i think we need to look elswhere,as that is very uncharacteristic of an engine. more like a vibration on something hollow, mimicking a ping.... your turn