HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   Need advice on my SI engine (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/need-advice-my-si-engine-55965/)

GirlwithanSIattitude 11-21-2007 05:15 PM

Need advice on my SI engine

Hey there,
I have done a couple of my own repairs on my 2000 SI through the years. This week I am doing the brakes. Anyways I need some ideas as to if my oil leak is from exhaust manifold or valve gasket....

I know that this type of repair (if it gets to blown head gasket***doubtful) is pretty intense for anyone. [sm=badidea.gif]Can anyone help me out with advice, knowledge? I have the repair manuals on my car and am not scared of dirt lol.
I have attached some pictures of where I see the oil....
[sm=devilangel.gif]
Thanks
GirlwithanSIattitude[&:]

[IMG]local://upfiles/27046/4611444CE6B949CF8DD81DE959DD315B.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/27046/A817B8FEF5A04E53B6279F369D789E6C.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/27046/0ED853B487DE4FC892B6716B00CE2FBB.jpg[/IMG]

mxs 11-21-2007 08:06 PM

RE: Need advice on my SI engine

Welcome... from the pictures I'd say it's either the valve cover gasket, or the cam seal. Seems too high up to be the head gasket. I'd clean off as much of it as possible with a wire brush and some degreaser... then keep an eye on it to see where it's actually coming from.

GirlwithanSIattitude 11-21-2007 09:33 PM

thanks for your response, do ya think its a difficult job if it is valve cover/cam seal?I guess I would need some special equipment.

Marty 11-21-2007 10:49 PM

Both are really easy, if you have a chilton's manual or haynes manual for your car it offers detailed information on fixing it.

GirlwithanSIattitude 11-22-2007 07:34 AM

Marty
Your the best! I have an online eautorepair from Michelin which using Honda corp specs. I do have Chiltons and a OBD II code reader from JC Whitney ordered and to arrive tomorrow. Hopefully it will come in the morning. BTW I dont really care too much for the eautorepair, its not thorough enough. I was at the auto store last night and was looking through Chiltons (knowing I already ordered this), much better.

It sounds like you have done this yourself, any pointers? Mind if I peep you with questions as I go through the process.

Thanks Bro:);)
GirlwithanSIattitude

mxs 11-22-2007 08:12 AM

Just follow the directions.... it's all bolts, haha... you just need a good torque wrench. It might also be the VTEC solenoid gasket, I didn't think of that one yesterday.

Marty 11-22-2007 08:59 AM

Ask away as I have done it a few times, MXS is also a great source for info on stuff. Like she said it is all nuts and bolts. Just read the directions and take your time. A bit of advice, go to the auto parts store and pick up some good degreaser and spray the hell out of the mess before working on it. Makes for a cleaner work area and alot easier to not pissed at what your doing. Also watch the valve cover bolts because they are really easy to break off when tightening down. I think they only need like 8 to maybe 20lbs of tq put on them.

GirlwithanSIattitude 11-22-2007 10:21 AM

VTEC solenoid gasket? Ok, thats one I havent heard of, is it along the same type of repair as the exhaust manifold, valve gasket? Yeah I have on my list torque wretch to pick up tomorrow. Is that left rear corner of the head?

mxs 11-22-2007 11:26 AM

https://www.hondapartsdeals.com/imag...020.022.10.gif

The solenoid is the whole #9 assembly in this picture, the gasket is part #12. Oil flows through there. The cam seals aren't pictured there, but the oil could also be coming from the o-ring behind the distributor.

mxs 11-22-2007 11:27 AM

sorry for the huge picture, haha