Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 01:31 PM
HCF Member
Default need some advice

Ok i have a b18a1 obd1 right now. every thing is on the engine i also have the ls tranny. I plan on re building the engine be for i put it in my 93 civic. i want to do a v-tec head on it. Its my daily driver and i want it to be quick on the street. low 14s high 13s will make me happy. were do i start???? what ecu will i need??? im going n/a, no turbo or anything. so high compression. I also want it to pass smog so i can bar it and make it all lagit. Any one with ideas and help so i can purchase all the internals. i have a shop lined up to clean the block. ill get the head done up also when i get one. so ya what is my best bet for this.

Old 08-22-2008, 05:06 PM
HCF Member

wow your spending a lot for low 14's...

heres my advice, keep the block stock, just get a head gasket that will raise your compression a little.

to answer your questions about the ecu, your fine, just get the one you have chipped by your tuner and its ready to tune.

-get apexi ws2 exhaust or greddy evo or something around 2 1/4" to help you with smog
-get a high flow cat from magna flow or something to help you pass smog + open up your exhaust
-dc headers pass smog as well
-cai, whatever you prefer
-get your vtec head, strip it, bring it to a good machinest and get a 3 angle valve job, resurface the deck, and have him debur everything!
- get a stock intake manifold for your vtec head, bring it to your machinest, have him cut it in half and pollish and debur everything.
- stage 1 cams, id go for a torqier set of cams if you can find em, funner on the street and who doesnt like torque?
- if you have a torque cams you wont really need to get new springs and retainers because you wont be revving high enough to use them anway...
- higher compression head gasket.
- pro tune, find the best guy

im no n/a pro but i can almost garuntee if you did that list of mods, and got a great tune you should be in the 14's, and without even digging into the block.

the hardest part is going to be your ls tranny, those are LONGGG gears, maybe get a bigger final drive, that will also give you a big torque edge

hope nobody freaks on me cuz im an idiot lol, like i said, im no n/a pro..

good luck

Old 08-23-2008, 02:05 PM
HCF Member

lol ya man i like that. i was hopping for a replie just like that. ya i have a machine shop here that im going to. motor machine. guy over there is honda man. ok well next question is should i just use all new stock internals???? how high will my engine rev with this stuff??? and what can i do to build the block. ya its strong but come on i want its to take the abuse also. and is there a bolt up tranny i can use for the b18??? like gsr or b16????

Old 08-23-2008, 02:06 PM
HCF Member

o and what you mean buy gut intake man. in half????

Old 08-24-2008, 07:12 PM
HCF Member

If you're looking for high R's get more beefy springs, rockers and valves - especially if you're going to get the head ported.

Old 08-25-2008, 12:38 PM
HCF Member

ok ok ok. well i gat a b16 head now with a three angel valve job, port and polish and new internals. needs cams and gears. what ecu can i get since i dont have one. and the harness i have is a b18 what do i need to do to make it work???