HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   new civic owner....clueless...needs help (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/new-civic-owner-clueless-needs-help-53596/)

fleetwood 10-11-2007 03:56 AM

new civic owner....clueless...needs help

just bought 1994 civic ex...has new magnaflow stainless catback exhaust, but NO other mods.....don't have much money, but would like to start improving performance...what is first-cheapest-easiest way to help the cause............................................. intake air filter???? No wrench head, but have tools and common sense.......help the handicapped[8D]

the_turtle 10-11-2007 06:23 AM

RE: new civic owner....clueless...needs help

Yep your right, either a short "Ram" air intake, or a true cold air intake. the cold air will net more power, but if you drive in a very wet climite, it might not be your best choice. also, if you havent already, take out your spare tire and all that junk..less weight = less power it takes to move your car. and your spare prolly sux like mine did, actually, i almost wrecked 4 times in the 10 mile drive (going slow) and thats when i decided that it will be towed before a spare gose on it. (plus my dad owns a towing company;))

Everyday Getaway 10-11-2007 08:14 AM

^lol, dude, some of us aren't so lucky with the towing business! I keep my spare just in case, and always have a toolkit, if you aren't racing then you really won't notice a 50lbs. decrease in weight,if weight decreases were that effective, then all of us would go on diets!!! lol. Do intake as mentioned, header, grounding kit, short shifter, but most importantly and imo first...get newSUSPENSION, trust me, you will not regret buying a new set of springs and shocks.

Good luck with the car man, welcome to the forum!

fleetwood 10-11-2007 12:04 PM

thanks to Turtle and Everyday Getaway for advice.....maybe soon I'll figure out how to navigate this website better, but this works for now....how much should cold air intake cost....I see them in the classifieds for $30.00 plus shipping?????

Everyday Getaway 10-11-2007 06:20 PM

You'd be fine witha $30 one, just be sure to get a better intake filter for it, like a K&N, AEM, HKS, etc.

the_turtle 10-11-2007 09:08 PM

yea....but then agian, $50-70 for a tow bill, or more for a ticket for running an illegal tire, or worse, totaling your whip...im not trying to rant here but seriously strip your car for a day, just the back seats, and the stuff in your trunk...and you WILL notice a difference...maybe not a huge one, but its there. and i was under the assumption he wanted a little more pep on the highway, and in town...and a suspension isnt going to help there...but in the corners or back roads...OH YEA, suspension first.

as for the intake, like gateway said....just get a better filter...it will save you money in the long run...were are you from by the way? if your from ohio, i could help you some...