HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   NEW HEAD GASKET (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/new-head-gasket-32495/)

mig25 11-12-2006 08:40 PM

NEW HEAD GASKET

I just replaced the head gasket in my Civic 95 DX Auto
I made sure all the marks lign up. For some reason the fricking car is smoking.[:@]
[:@]It is not to bad but the engine has a weird sound and Smokes.[:@]
I adjusted the valves, it got a little better but still..
Any adivse ? thanks

civicblend97 11-12-2006 08:56 PM

RE: NEW HEAD GASKET

how much has the car ran or how much have u drove it since changing. i did a head gasket on a hatch and it somked like crazy for i think 2 days and then quit and has been

fine ever since not saying that is ur prob but could be.

bigwill1384 11-12-2006 11:26 PM

did you replace the timing belt or tensioner? ( not exactly sure what the setup is on hondas when it come to the timing belt) but something similar happend to my friends subaru we would have the timing perfect it would run great then after a few minutes of driving the timing would slip andthe car would ping and smoke ended up being the belt and tensionor! the belt they both were worn out! its possible even though u had the marks lined up that after starting it the timing could have slipped!

Pete 11-13-2006 12:09 AM

Is it smoking white? Its possible that the head is warped and needs to be machined.......If its warped it could be leaking coolant into the combustion chamber and burnin it up.

mig25 11-13-2006 07:13 AM

Brand New Belt, Head Was professionally resurfaced.
Because of the funky smell on the exhaust I keep thinking it is coolant being burned. The reservoir has gone down.
[:@]I might need to redo the whole friking thing again ! [:@]
Response to the first reply, I have driven it for 30 miles only. After I noticed the smoke I did the timng belot again to make sure all marks were ok, adjusted the valves.
Smoking problem got better, but still smokes a little.

OLD n TIRED 11-19-2006 11:58 PM

OK. Here goes...bought granddaughter 1988 civic w/ 1.5. Had bad exhaust valve-burnt however no smoke. Pulled head and replaced one valve (very limited budget). Reassembled and started fine except..lots of white smoke. Tried 2-3 times and then tore down again to check head gasket and straight edge head. Had some space - approx .002. Could see no problem. Checked head bolt holes and did find some original head gasket material which might have given bad torque numbers. Got higher quality head gasket and reassembled. Same problem. Did not have intake manifold off of head so did not replace that gasket. What am I overlooking?[:@] PS Am old and slow but have lots of time.

mig25 11-20-2006 06:36 AM

OK, You could have started a brand new Post.
But in any case.
Every time you pull the head you need new Bolts.
Head bolts are stretch bolts and can not be reused.
Also you might want to take the Head to a Machine shop to have it check for cracks and possible be resurfaced.
Make sure you buy the correct head gasket , don’t go to any AutoZone to get it, do a search on line, There are few types of head gaskets.
Once everything is in place make sure you adjust all the valves. Also you might want to replace the Timing belt and water pump. Timing belt is always good to get it at the Honda dealer.