Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

new to hondas..got some questions...

Old 12-15-2009, 07:47 PM
Default new to hondas..got some questions...

i jus bought a 97 civic hx d16y5 vect-e..ive read alot about the difference between the y5 and the y7 motors.i was wondering if i could get the same power out of jus porting and polishing the f&*k out of the y5 head..maybe a cam swap.. as i would doing a head swap.yea i know the regular vtech kicks in at a much higher rpm than the vtec-e head.should i jus do a head swap? what head should i go with? what all would i need to do to complete that swap? sorry lol i know this informaton is all over the web but im new to hondas and its all jus a lil confusing to me...thanks

Old 12-15-2009, 08:42 PM
Sir Banned-a-lot

Originally Posted by aryanw91 View Post
i jus bought a 97 civic hx d16y5 vect-e..ive read alot about the difference between the y5 and the y7 motors.i was wondering if i could get the same power out of jus porting and polishing the f&*k out of the y5 head..maybe a cam swap.. as i would doing a head swap.yea i know the regular vtech kicks in at a much higher rpm than the vtec-e head.should i jus do a head swap? what head should i go with? what all would i need to do to complete that swap? sorry lol i know this informaton is all over the web but im new to hondas and its all jus a lil confusing to me...thanks
u cant spell vtec can u haha... well, you did it right 1 out of 3 times haha. anyhow, i like the y5, its fuel efficient, expecially with the z1/y5 head. d16y5 uses the same head as a d16y8, only it's rockers and cam are different SO NO SMALL PORTS ON THE y5! and of corse, the hx is the only civic that came with factory alloy wheels!, it all depends on what your going for, if you want power, do a full swap, if you want fuel efficency, keep the y5

Old 01-04-2010, 03:58 AM

i have a 95 civic 1.5 16v engine i have headers n a str8 pipe + a intake,is dere nething els i can do 2 get more hp wit out puttin a different engine in?