HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   Newbie questions, please be nice! (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/newbie-questions-please-nice-9835/)

zagross 09-04-2005 09:21 PM

Newbie questions, please be nice!

Hi, i am new here and just bought my first car. Its a 97 Civic CX. i wanted to get some more horsepower out of it and have 2000$ to spend, just wanted to know what i can do as this whole thing seems to complicated to me.

Which mods will be safe and worth it and give me added HP to do on my civic?

Nail I3unny 09-04-2005 09:24 PM

RE: Newbie questions, please be nice!

with 2 grand you may be in the market for an engine swap. im not sure...but the b16 swap usually goes for between 2 and 3.5k. search around for a b16a2 full engine swap.

zagross 09-04-2005 09:28 PM

well i have about 100 HP from the engine, how much will the new engine have? i am just looking for around 150 HP thats all and would like to keep away from engine swap.

also i am putting a high power sound system in and wanted to know where online can i get a High output alternator for a civic?

Nail I3unny 09-04-2005 09:30 PM

well if you wanna stay away from an engine swap...you could prolly piece together a turbo kit with 1k. then with the other grand you should look for an LSD for your car, traction bars, sway bars, shocks, and springs. suspension stuff.

fast93civic 09-04-2005 09:42 PM

Yea, turbo would be the best bet. You'll get a good HP gain. Probly more than you expect.

Nail I3unny 09-04-2005 10:36 PM

btw...if you could scrounge up another 400 bucks on top of that...you should get a megan racing exhaust along with your turbo and suspension

Street Sniper 09-05-2005 02:41 AM

Mini-me, I/H/E, manifold and cam. 150 and done. So sweet and rockin the D.

zagross 09-05-2005 08:59 AM

well i was thinking turbo but 2 things made me think not, the prices are all 2000+ and also do you think the engine can handle the boost? i dont want things breaking up inside.

i am going to be getting the headers, exhaust, and the air intake soon, but i wanted to know of anyplace online that sells them cheap, because i can get these over here for around 1000$, and you guys say i can get a turbo for that much so please point me to the right site, thnx.

ps. suspension is not my concern now as i am not going to be racing with this.

Nail I3unny 09-05-2005 05:54 PM

you can piece a turbo 'kit' together yourself for under 1000 bucks. ebay is your key. just make sure the seller has good reviews.

running boost should and will be fine on a stock D as long as you dont stray over 8 psi...usually 6-8. in fact...most people here who have a decently fast car has a turbod or blown D series.

btw...with a turbo setup you will have no need for an intake or header.

and if you look around...an exhaust will only be 300-450.

so heres my word to you. 1000 for the turbo, 400 for exhaust, get a tune, and the rest to cover shipping. you will land damn near your 2000 benchmark

zagross 09-05-2005 06:05 PM

alright ill start looking thnx.