HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   No Boost (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/no-boost-27080/)

shep 08-11-2006 03:57 PM

No Boost

Ok I'm a complete noob to civics and really working on cars. I actually realized how much I love doing it after I wrecked my car and needed to get around so I fixed our 94 transsport and I'm learning a lot.

But without any kind of boost and after I I/H/E what can I do to make HP. So if I put in an intake manifold, throtle body, and a high flow fuel pump how much more power would I make? Like I said I have no clue about much of this stuff and if there are things I sould do before these upgrades what are they? What else can I do to the engine before I boost? (if I do one day boost) I just need to know what I should do. I really have no power goals and I never plan on racing it I just love power the more the better I dont want to boost and NOS is not an option I do need this car for a while. What all should i do to really make my car fly? Is there a list or link you guys could give?

My car:
2003 Civic EX 38,000 miles completly stock.
thanks, Shep

My04Civic 08-11-2006 04:04 PM

RE: No Boost

ok ok, first thing you should do is research using out search function here at HCF Searchy! you should be able to find the answers there!

slvrcivic05 08-11-2006 05:32 PM

ok i have 2005 Civic Coupe EX. For the most part with the D17A2 you wont get a substantial amount of power out of it with I/H/E. Most of us go boosted.

You can h.ever free up HP with Unorthodox's Underdrive Crank Pulley, AEM's Power Steering Pulley, and if your not running a heavy stereo; the Alternator Pulley. i'd say combined this would free up 8-10 hp.

With your intake (max 2.2-5hp), header (2-5hp) and catback exhaust (5-8hp), lets just say you gained a total of 12 hp there and freed up about 9 hp, that 21 hp more than you had before, which honestly IMO isnt alot, even for the daily driver. If you want it to be faster, get a Fidanza 11lb Flywheel, dont go 7lb because you'll get tired at driving it. For now i would say I/H/E, then lower it on some nice shocks and springs, if you have a manual, get a Revo Short Throw Shifter, if its an auto.. good luck. the only thing i can say that i have felt a nice gain in power is the JET ECU Reflash. now i only did this because I got another ECU at a junk yard and kept my stock ecu away from JET's Hands. Its 299 for the flashing and cost me 25 in shipping. But i felt what they told me. quicker accerleration, good mid-high rpm torque, and about an 18% increase in hp.

So say you have that 21 from what was said before and you add on the 127 that the D17A2 puts out, thats 148HP and then 18% more is roughly 178 HP. So its up to you.

Or you can go Boosted for around 4100 bucks including install and just run about 5psi of boost and get the same HP and more TQ and then set the boost higher when you want more power. Its up to you

BTW check out www.7thgencivic.com thats 01-05 civics

So far I have done the following:

AEM V2 Intake
HP Headers
Custom Down Pipe
Random Technology Catalytic Converter
Magnaflow Catback Exhaust
AEM Power Steering Pulley
Unorthodox Under Drive Crank Pulley

Tokico Shocks/Struts
Progress Lowering Springs
Neuspeed Front Strut Tower Brace
RSX Rear Sway Bar

Revo Short Shifter
SUN hyper Volt ground kit
SUN Exhaust Grounding Kit
Bosch 2pt Platinum Plugs

JET'd ECU Reflash

Optima Red Top Battery.

t34me 08-15-2006 06:50 PM

^^^^Homeboy is crazy, $4100 for a turbo kit??!! Talk to anybody on here, my self included and 95% of the boosted cars on here are kits put together piece by piece, my custom garrett turbo system costing a total of $1500 will dust the same car running a $3000 greddy kit. Dont believe that 4k s**t, you can put a hell of a nice system together for under 2k easy.

riceburner700 08-16-2006 12:22 AM

i agree i peiced a kit together for about 2000 grand and it smokes kits all day long

Pete 08-16-2006 12:50 AM

Sell ur car, buy an EG with a Z6. Boost it for a grand and get a good tune. Hello 13s for 1000$

Nail I3unny 08-16-2006 11:46 AM

ORIGINAL: Pete

Sell ur car, buy an EG with a Z6. Boost it for a grand and get a good tune. Hello 13s for 1000$
i agree with him

if you want to keep your car, you have two options. boost or swap. these engines, naturally aspirated, can make about 200hp tops. everything considered, it wouldnt be worth it. that means you have to choose between a boost and swap.

a swap will run anywhere between 4-8 grand, depending on the swap. you have a few options for an engine, and none of them are cheap: the k20a3 (which you should stay away from), the k20a2, the k24a2, the JDM k20a. id stay away from the k20a3 because, quite frankly, its not ready bo make power. i wont go into detail (marty go ahead if you want to), just stay away from it. after that will be the k20a2. this will probably be the engine that will end up in y our car if you choose this route. its much better than the k20a3 and much easier to find than the k20a (and cheaper). its out of the USDM RSX-S and puts out 200hp at the crank and is a direct swap. your next choice is the k24a4. biggest four banger that Honda makes. no vtec, not high compression, no silly stuff. its just made for torque. however, with a k24a4 block and a k20a2 head, you have one hell of a killer. also a direct swap. lastly you have the jdm k20a. if you can find one for a price you're willing to pay, great. but tehyre tough to find and balls-ass expensive.

next route would be turbo. unlike what the dude said up there, a turbo setup wont run you 4100. it should run you 2 grand, tops, and can usually be had for around 1k. the difference here is youd rive a 7G, and performance parts for this car are much harder to find than previous generations. theres a grocery shopping list for an entire setup in the DIY section that pete posted, look there to get a list of parts.

by the way this is a brief overview. im no 7G expert so you probably want to research more thouroghly here and at other forums.

koots 08-16-2006 03:09 PM

what pieces did you combine and how much HP boost you runnin? i am severely interested...severely!

Pete 08-16-2006 08:18 PM

im running 9-10 psi

koots 08-16-2006 09:34 PM

is it too much for mostly street driving. and does using boost in this type of environment affect my reliability?