Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Oil leak cleanup, please help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 05:38 PM
Question Oil leak cleanup, please help!!!

I just bought a 93 civic d15b7 at. It has an oil leak and was obviously driven for a while like this. I plan on eventually swapping the engine, but until I get the money I need to fix it and clean everything up, because I can't leave my civic looking the way it does. I am pretty sure that the oil leak is from the valve cover gaskets and it has gotten everywhere it could run down to over time. I need to piece by piece take effected parts off and clean them, but I don't know where to start. Any suggestions???

Old 11-26-2008, 09:48 PM

What I would do is get a valve cover gasket kit (spark plug tube seals, valve cover gasket, bolt grommets) because you probably need it anyway, and then degrease the engine bay. Check again a few days later and see if the leak is gone. If it isn't, it should now be easy to tell where it is coming from.

Old 11-27-2008, 06:17 AM

clean your engine bay. then you can buy this stuff you put in your oil and it glows like a green under a black light. you will know exactly where the leak is. the stuff comes in a kit including the light. safe to put in anything. use for any leaks ( radiator,oil,ect)

Old 11-27-2008, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by 93ċiviכֿ
then you can buy this stuff you put in your oil and it glows like a green under a black light. you will know exactly where the leak is. the stuff comes in a kit including the light. safe to put in anything.( radiator,oil,ect)
I'd be pretty skeptical about putting anything like that in the oil... they also say that radiator stop-leak is safe, but it's actually really not good for the system.

Old 11-27-2008, 09:39 AM

some high strength brake cleaner works great for getting built up oil/grease off. spray it on and wipe off. just try not to spray it on the paint, it can ruin it. also use in a well ventilated area, stuff is real strong on the nose..