HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   Piston tips (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/piston-tips-27451/)

t34me 08-18-2006 12:08 AM

Piston tips

Ok, so since im looking at this every day now

[IMG]local://upfiles/11033/376C6FAB5FD540F59D68E540CC1BA52E.jpg[/IMG]

I have decided to take it upon myself to venture into uncharted territories, im going to change my own pistons out. Any tips or tricks would be appreciated

[IMG]local://upfiles/11033/5FA9F70DDBB64B9CAC2B31FA990A8193.jpg[/IMG]

Tater 08-18-2006 12:16 AM

RE: Piston tips

just be careful and dont force anything if something is not moving for a reason find out why it is not moving and just keep some oil in there so you do not scratch up your walls or anything.

t34me 08-18-2006 10:44 PM

Thanks for the reply bateater, does no one else have any insight?

96civic285whp 08-18-2006 11:08 PM

No clue, I've never done any internal work, but let me know what you fing out, I'm eventually going to do mine.

Marty 08-19-2006 02:15 AM

You need to take your block out and atleast have it honed. Is that a block gaurd?

koots 08-19-2006 11:00 AM

you need a piston ring compressor to get the pistons back in. if getting it honed by a machine shop is out of the question
you can get a cordless drill mounted 3 point honer that usually comes with rebuild kits. i'm not sure of their availabilty outside of the kits but some asking around can't hurt. the thing is: is that you need one that is for you bore diameter so that you don't finish the cylinder walls too much more than is required. it is only meant to refreshen the walls at stock diameter so that adequate oiling can be obtained to the fresh piston rings.

research engine rebuild forums and sites to see if the engine will need machining, because in my experience with Chevy V8's a simple backyard or garage rebuild with new rings, gaskets and oil pump usually got you an oil burning compression losing waste of space. but i know very little about honda engines, so as i said:

research your heart out until you feel confident. and good luck[sm=rockinit.gif]

riceburner700 08-19-2006 12:07 PM

if you are going new rods then measure the rods bearing clearence to determine the specific bearing size you need and when you are reinstalling the pistons put some oil on a rag and put it around the cylinder walls with a very light coat of oil film on them, dont want those pistons in there dry

koots 08-19-2006 12:50 PM

[sm=goodidea.gif]
engine work and rebuilding is one place where you do not want to mess up.
simply forgetting to torque one rod bolt could lead to failure. especially in
high compression-high rpm applications like any Honda should be.
believe me i've seen the effects of forgetfulness.
Had to fix them as well.