HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   Pistons and Rods (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/pistons-rods-17301/)

POSCivic 02-19-2006 05:22 PM

Pistons and Rods

OK im new to the forum and internals on a 4bannger and i ave a 96 civic DX non v-tec w/ 74,xxxmiles and i need a new crank and 1 rod. my question is would it be better for me to get a whole set of rods and pistons used already together or just buy one rod and get my piston pressed on? what pistons and rods should i look for? if i have to get all new rods and pistons id like to go ahead and get a set with a lil better piston. this will not me an all out build and i do not wanna sink alot of money into it i just need to get it going cause im not gona be able to rive my hot rod everyday at 10mpg!! [:@] i can get a crank for about $125 so thats covered. any help would be appriciated

Nail I3unny 02-19-2006 06:45 PM

RE: Pistons and Rods

just go to a junkyard.

AgentofDarkness 02-19-2006 07:14 PM

The amount of labor involved in changing one piston and rod is gonna be around the same as changing all four. I would change all 4 pistons and rods, because you never know whats gonna happen down the road. It would really suck if you changed piston #2 and then have #3 crap out in a month or two. I wouldn't get a piston from a junkyard. I went to the junkyard to get an axle for my car and then i found out that a brand new axle was $15.00 more. I only get parts from the junkyard that i can't buy from a store.

POSCivic 02-19-2006 08:29 PM

well i was leaning towards doing all four anyway since i dont wanna risk rod s being diff weights and throw everthing out. another thing can i use pistons from a sohc vtec motor? ive been looking on ebay and i can get 4 rods and pistons still intact from many diff ppl i just dont know what bore sizes for these lil motors. what motor do i have anyway? it is sohc non vtec 1.5 i think!? mabey if i get specific name or code or how ever these motors are named. if the pistons and rods are interchangeable what should i look for? i mean is there any better for cr? like i said it is a daily driver but since i gona rebuild bottom end why not give myself something that performs a lil better. only other mods that will be done is dc header highflow cat and muffler and homemade intake:D ive also done a tb bypay mod and b4 bottom end went i also had no muffler but that was annoying (bolt for rear section broke off)

riceburner700 02-19-2006 10:55 PM

its actualy a non-vtec 1.6l

finalimpact 02-19-2006 11:00 PM

your engine should be a d16y7 assuming it is the stock engine. hit up the junkyard and source a set of 88-89 integra dohc 1.6 pistons(pg7,p29) these will bump your compression up nicely and drop right in. ive personally never had a problem though mixing up rod sets though, also you might want to consider sometimes when removing factory pistons from a factory rod with milage on it there may be damage due to pin removal.

POSCivic 02-20-2006 02:25 AM

what would a used set usualy run pricewise? the pistons that came out of my motor now have only 74,xxx miles on them and the inside of the motor is very clean im gona clean everything compleately though since there was a lot of metal in the oil pan but i figured since i hve it all apart id do a lil something to beef it up a lil and figured it would be dumb to just get one rod replaced . i was also afraid that they would be weighted diffrently like some v-8 motors and i didnt wanna run it and it blow again in a few weeks or days.

POSCivic 02-20-2006 03:13 AM

will something like this work good? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...MakeTrack=true