HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   question about upgrading my engine (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/question-about-upgrading-my-engine-35020/)

classiccarsrule85 12-27-2006 04:42 PM

question about upgrading my engine

I have a '88 CRX HF stock and am planning on doing some basic mods for now tho i am working on body work .........but anyways I have taken a look at the engine and well being bassically stock I am not seeing a way to hook up a cold air intake since i see that the throttle body is well quite small......so i am wondering first off if that is possible to swap out for something else??....another question i have is about a mini me head swap i have been talking to certain people about it and well so far its 50-50 its good its not good.....so I am wondering if its good or not will i get more power compared to the price i am paying, or should wait and go with a full vtech swap??...Also wondering for exhaust upgrades would the ones from ebay fit for I see the cat is placed right up there underneath the manifold on the hf so i am wondering if i could possibly do that as in the exhaust upgrade bolt in right up to my engine??.....Besides the way theengine is set up as in exhaust restrictions, cat placement, intake throttle body size what is the difference from the Si engine?? why is the car have only 66hp or so im told...??

Thank you

civicblend97 12-27-2006 11:29 PM

RE: question about upgrading my engine

i have a 89 hatch with that motor in it and itsslow as crap if u want to stay with the D i think the mini-me would be the best way to go for good hp gain i was thinking about doing it to mine but i am just going to rebuild it mines a beater

Nail I3unny 12-28-2006 11:11 AM

i know its possible to drop in a z6 for fairly cheap, but theres som re-wiring stuff you'd have to do that a lot of people arent up for.

you could look into a JDM d15b...but that has the same rewiring things

the b16a1 is a direct bolt in, but its expensive

finalimpact 12-28-2006 12:43 PM

for cheap power you can do the crx si head swap....but make sure the cam timing is perfect or you will bend valves. the hf engine is an 8 valve engine and the pistons are only notched for an 8 valve head. although the si head will work you wont be able to do any cam upgrades. dont even think about a mini me on this block as youll bend at least 4 of the exh valves upon initial crank up. best bet is to drop in a d16a6 at the very least. also the hf transmission will be holding you back alot. swap it for at least a dx transmission. personally if you dont want to spend alot of money i would find a crx/civic si(88-91) drivetrain and swap that in. its a direct swap with no re wiring needed. the a6 is a great d series platform to start with.