HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   Questions about mini me (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/questions-about-mini-me-35083/)

zarembad 12-28-2006 05:11 PM

Questions about mini me

I have read all the posts on here, and Final Impacts article. I have a d15b7 and a d16z6 head. In Finalimpacts article it references a d16z6 dizzy. However in the list of items needed, it doesn't list it. Do I need the d16z6 dizzy? Also, everyone says to use a d16y8 head gasket, because it is metal. On ebay everyone is selling d16z6 head gaskets that are metal. Is there any other difference between the two? I have read other posts saying that different plugs should be used for the higher compression....is this true, and if so which ones should be used?

Street Sniper 12-28-2006 07:38 PM

RE: Questions about mini me

Yes, you need the dizzy for the head that you are using. In this case the z6. People usually suggest the y8 head gasket because it is 2 layer instead of 3 like the z6's oem replacements and that will yield~2 tenths bump in compression if I remember correctly. It may not be that much. You can check out one of the trillion compression calculators to make sure. You may want to use a hotter plug for the slightly higher compression, but then you maywant to step up the octane fuel you are using too. Just ask the guys at your local dealership for a one step hotter plug and go with 89 octane if you have it there.

I am pretty sure you need a y8 timing belt for that set-up, but the z6 and y8's have the same # of teeth so I dont' know why everyone always says to use the y8.

Hmm, I think that's it for now. Holla or pm if you need anything else.

zarembad 12-28-2006 09:06 PM

Alright now I am confused....In a previous thread Marty said a d16z6 distributor was not required for this mini me??

Marty
Date 11/20/2006 11:50:22 PM

no

zarembad
Date 11/20/2006 11:15:01 PM

Bump

zarembad
Date 11/20/2006 4:19:36 PM

Hey, I need to know if doing a mini me swap on a d15b7 to a d16z6 requires a d16z6 distributor?? I have read the DIY and other posts, and I didn't see this anywhere

zarembad 12-28-2006 09:08 PM

Also everyone recommends removing the middle layer of the y8 gasket to boost compression, but if it is only two layers, how do you remove the middle?

finalimpact 12-28-2006 09:09 PM

z6 tming belt works fine...........the y8 and z6 head gaskets share the same part number for the felpro and both share the same 3 layer steel design. it is recomended you use the z6 dizzy because it fits directly onto the head. you can however modify the b7 dizzy to work by hacing one of the mounting legs. as for the plugs you can either stay stock or go one step colder( just like in a turbo/nitrous application) bkre7 ngk plugs are what i like to use.

zarembad 12-28-2006 09:12 PM

Thank you impact....you are a god

Street Sniper 12-28-2006 09:40 PM

Oh yeah, colder. My bad, but why wouldn't you need a vtec dizzy?

finalimpact 12-29-2006 12:03 PM

the only difference in the obd1 z6 and b7 dizzy is the mouting foot pattern. internals are exactly the same and even marked p06 between the 2. using the z6 dizzy just makes it a complete bolt in affair. its really up to you..........its not very hard to hack your b7 dizzy, and with the cost of a new z6 unit i will gladly hack my own.

zarembad 12-29-2006 01:11 PM

One other question.....How do I make sure the cam gear is in the right place when I put the head on. If the crank should be with piston 1 at tdc, how do I make sure the cam is in the right place??

zarembad 12-29-2006 07:01 PM

Bump