HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   Random Overheating... (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/random-overheating-91976/)

Turtlegrip 01-19-2012 02:26 PM

Random Overheating...

So my 1997 honda civic dx has started to overheat at random times. This just started after i let my car outside in the mountains for a night a few days ago (work, i normally get a truck to drive but it was a weird day) and most of the car froze over.

After that night it was overheating so bad i could not drive without stopping and letting the engine sit off every couple miles, so i didnt drive it for a few days and then today it was driving fine and only overheating when im parked idling for about 5 or more minutes, the second i move it the temp drops almost all the way down again.

I was looking at the thermostat, which i replaced along with the radiator less than a year ago, but my mechanic says it could just be the fan switch. either way i am gonna take the car in to get the timing belt and water pump done (190k miles now, and i lack the tools and time to get in there, gonna try and get all the bushing done too if i can afford it) and he said he will find if its the thermostat or fan and replace it for free.

Im considering just removing the thermostat, seeing as it is rarely cold here in SoCal and i park in a garage, but would that cause other problems if i remove the thermostat, assuming i always remember to let the car sit a couple minutes before driving? The freezing over was a one time thing, i keep my car in the city.

Anyway, any insight or suggestion would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks in advance! :cool:

axis11 01-19-2012 11:03 PM

Check for proper operation of fan. If motor is good but doesn't run when hot, check fuse,relay,connectors,switches. If fan is running as it should, check thermostat operation. Dont forget to bleed the system of air.

cvcrcr99 01-20-2012 05:46 AM

Do not remove the Tstat. It is a common misconception. The Tstat slows down the flow in order for the coolant to not effectively absorb the heat within your motor. That is what I have heard. I never run without a Honda OEM Tstat.

Jump the fan switch, turn the car on and see if the fan comes on immediately. If not, the fan is dead or the wiring is shot. If the fan does come on, it is your fan switch.

Turtlegrip 01-20-2012 01:15 PM

gonna leave therostat :cool:

cooling fan fuse is fine, fan does not turn on when i start car, when i rev engine, or when it starts getting hot. Didnt check the switch. I did bleed the system before i posted this.

Going to drop car off at mechanic tomorrow, he already said he would replace the thermostat free, since im getting timing belt/water pump done, but im gonna tell him whats up now, since he replaced the radiator, fan, switch, ect about 1 year ago, doesnt seem to me like this should have happened, even if i was in cold weather for 1 night.