HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   Real Ram Air Idea (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/real-ram-air-idea-25445/)

Clean98EX 07-16-2006 06:43 PM

Real Ram Air Idea

Ok this is a thought that i have brain storming with for a while now. The idea is to cut a hole into the hood; attach a hood scoop(i was thinking an STI one) and run a duct on the underside to an air filter. My idea was to make the duct out of thin aluminum for its weight and ease to mold. For the filter i was thinking of making a 90 degree turn off of the TB and placing it under the duct. but i think that an oval air filter would suck too much air from the engine bay so i thought that i would use a square K+N filter that would go into a stock air system. Place the filter so it meets an opening in the duct and fab something from a stock air box to meet the 90 off the TB...sounds complicated but i think it is doable. a little planning and creativity and i think it would work...What do you all think?

Chimera02EX 07-16-2006 06:55 PM

RE: Real Ram Air Idea

Make sure you take LOTS of measurements before starting.

Clean98EX 07-16-2006 08:34 PM

right and i will but has anyone ever heard of this or think that it is a good idea? I still need to figure a way to keep rain water and other things out of the air box but i think that the project will be effective and yes kinda cool.

addiction2bass 07-16-2006 09:17 PM

sounds VERY difficult!.......
wish ya luck..

i think the easiest way to do it would be chop a hole into the bumper
for my 99 i know i could chop out the fog light location and put in a quick grill ;)

just a easier idea for ya...

pWnEdU 07-16-2006 09:27 PM

Very doable. I did it on my truck. Made the turbos (sequential twins) spool FAST on the highway.

With over 1k ft/lb of torque, it would fishtail on the highway doin 60+ when the primary turbo lit.

OpTiCaL 07-17-2006 09:26 AM

Is there enough room under the hood for all of that? Also i have herd that to get an actual ram air you needs to have the scoop go a certain distance off the hood. I dont remember the distance but they were saying like the first 1" off the car is dead air. I dont know if this is correct or not.

StifflersMom 07-17-2006 10:58 AM

The scoop has to rise at least 3 inches.....the closer to the windshield, the taller

mxs 07-17-2006 12:17 PM

do you know that the STi scoop isn't the engine air intake?

StifflersMom 07-17-2006 06:26 PM

It's not, but it still can be used as one...with a little creativity....

Clean98EX 07-17-2006 07:21 PM

yes the STI scoop is for the intercooler but yes it will work as an intake. the sti scoop should be high enough and placed just before the washer noozles it should get some good air. This weekend i will try to fab something up and will try to put it up here. i think it will work great.