Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

rear engine mount?

Old 07-15-2007, 09:25 AM
Banned
Default rear engine mount?

93 honda civic ex coupe 1.6 vtec

around 2k-2.5k while driving down the road in 2nd gear and if it's not too loaded, i can hear a knock. it sounds like somewhat of a rod knock but it only does it around that rpm range. it will do this in other gears but only for a short time due to the engine would be loaded more in another gear. i can rev the engine with that little thing by the throttle body under the hood and i can hear the knock, it sounds like it's coming from under the intake manifold somewhere. next time i get under there i will check the intake brackets and such to see if anything is loose.

one possibility is the rear motor mount. i can watch the mount move as the engine revs but i'm not certian if the knock is coming from there.how hard is this to replace? it looks like there are a few things in the way but it is driving me crazy not knowing what exactly this noise is! thanks

Old 07-15-2007, 07:38 PM
Banned
Default RE: rear engine mount?

I think i know what it is. I rev the engine and i can hear the knock close to the distributor.So this means the distributor is bad.Actually, I looked on advanceautoparts.com and they list a distributor, and a bushing for it.So is the bushing or the distributor causing the knock? Is the bushing even oil lubricated? I would really appreciate some help on this. I can't afford to keep this car off the road for very long.