Go Back  HondaCivicForum.com > Civic Style > Engine & Internal
Reload this Page >

Repair from hell - D16Y8 SOHC Intake rocker arms

Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Repair from hell - D16Y8 SOHC Intake rocker arms

Old 08-11-2008, 08:26 PM
HCF Member
Default Repair from hell - D16Y8 SOHC Intake rocker arms

Hello,

I've been lurking on this site for a while now and have finally decided to join.

Anyway, I cracked an exhaust valve on my Civic and pulled the head. Long story short I have a new rebuilt head and decided to go with a bit beefier cam. The issue I'm having is with the valve train. When I gave the old head in for a core I had to strip off all rocker arms and assembly in the parts store. In my hast I lost some parts. Between the intake rocker arms and mid rocker are supposed to be two synchronizing pistons (according to this schematic from alldatapro.com) . I'm missing four and one collar. I call Honda and dipstick on the phone says the part I'm holding in my hand doesn't exist. I go into the service center and find out it really does exist (NO WAY!!) but I'll have to buy each rocker arm assembly (2rockers, 1 mid rocker with the 2 pistons) for 180 or something a piece.

I just need four sync pistons and a collar! The rockers are in decent shape and I don't have the 780 to buy an all new intake rocker arm assembly. Does anyone have these pistons and a collar laying around? I'll pay for them and shipping. They are ridiculously small but holding up my rebuild... Any help would be freaking awesome!

Thanks,
-Norbster

P.S. I'm a bit flummoxed why I'm missing exactly half of these pistons... It almost seems like the rocker arms and mid rocker don't need to be tied together in this fashion as they all have a lob on the cam to ride on independently...

<Edit/Update>
Is is a 2K Civic EX Coupe - VTEC-E motor? I just read at more or less over 4500 rpm the rocker arm piston fills with oil and pushes the sync piston over so the two intake valves and mid rocker ride together... that would mean I only need the one synchronizing piston for each mid rocker. The way I have it set together they would be constantly connected together. That has to be wrong and I couldn't have misplaced four syn pistons. Anyone ever run through this before? I think this schematic I'm looking at is wrong. Gah!

Last edited by norbster86; 08-11-2008 at 09:02 PM.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:02 PM
HCF Member

Well I figured it out and have a new intake rocker collar being shipped overnight. On the D16Y8 engine there's only one synchronizing pin per cylinder. I hate being rushed...

Old 08-20-2008, 04:59 AM
HCF Member

-Update-
I was looking at the block, getting ready to clean it and saw a broken sensor! Turns out it's better to at least unplug the knock sensor before removing the head. 3 different parts stores and $105 latter I have a new one.

The head's on the car w/the intake manifold. I have about half of the vacuum lines/wires hooked back up. I'm shooting for Thursday night. Anything I need to be careful with in putting in the timing belt/pulleys? I remember how the power steering, AC and alternator go together. Thanks!

Old 08-24-2008, 06:48 PM
HCF Member

It's alive! She turned over and fired the first try. I'm pumped that my Civic's back on the road.

If you're going to pull the head on your car, expect it to take at least 2 solid weekends. One to disassemble and one to put it back together.