HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   replace exhaust valve (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/replace-exhaust-valve-62283/)

civic1998 03-11-2008 01:34 PM

replace exhaust valve

is it difficult to replace a blown exhaust valve?
b16 head..

riceburner700 03-11-2008 04:26 PM

RE: replace exhaust valve

what exsactly is wrong with it? you have to pull the whole valvetrain out and take the head off to replace a valve. and will need a new 3 angle seat cut on that valve, wouldnt hurt to do all 16 while your there

civic1998 03-12-2008 09:58 AM

The head is off. And the exhaust valve is blown. My question was is it something that I can change
by myself, or should i get it fixed at a shop?

civic1998 03-18-2008 10:39 PM

:eek:

riceburner700 03-19-2008 07:25 AM

if you have the right tools is a simple job, like engine assembly lube, valve spring compression, torque specs, it probably wouldnt be to much if you had a machine shop fix it and drop in a couple new valves for you.

alecrust 03-19-2008 08:39 AM

It's not a difficult job at all. You can buy them from HERE for a decent price.

jamned 03-19-2008 05:49 PM

If you live near an autozone, you can rent a valve spring compressor for free. You just need to pay a deposit that you get back when you're done using it.

If it's possible, I'd recommend figuring out how that valve was damaged. You don't want to put in a new valve just to have the same thing happen again.

AgentofDarkness 03-19-2008 07:32 PM

The hard part of replacing the valves is getting the cam/rocker arm assembly off. I have a D15B7 and the rocker arm assembly has alot of parts. After you have the cam and rocker arm assembly and rocker arms off, taking off the valves is pretty easy. Make sure to keep the correct order for the rocker arm assembly. What we did was take apart the rocker arm assembly and put them in the exact same order on a piece of cardboard. Might as well have all the valves machined while you have the valvetrain apart.

jamned 03-20-2008 09:12 AM

For my d15a2 and d15a3 engines, the rocker arms and rocker arm shafts come off together. All I did was unbolt the rocker arms and lift them off as two sets. I also just put the entire assembly off to the side.

AgentofDarkness 03-20-2008 09:42 AM

ORIGINAL: jamned

For my d15a2 and d15a3 engines, the rocker arms and rocker arm shafts come off together. All I did was unbolt the rocker arms and lift them off as two sets. I also just put the entire assembly off to the side.
We took the assembly completly apart and washed every part in carb cleaner to get all the varnish and crap off. The hard part is really keeping all the parts straight and in the correct order so when you put them back together everything ends up where it was before. The heads on the SOHC non-VTECs aren't really that complicated.