HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   Replacing an Engine (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/replacing-engine-75098/)

2000Ex 04-26-2009 04:23 PM

Replacing an Engine

I have a 2000 ex coupe with about 190k on it.
I picked it up with about 120 on it and I gave it hell. I put a turbo on it and ended up blowing the head gasket. I took of the turbo but she has seen better days. Im in my junior year of college and proposing over summer. My tuition per year is about 40k. My days of boost are over and I just want a car that can be reliable and take me a few years into my marriage.

How much would it cost to swap in a b16 or b18 (the ls one) or even another d16y8. I figure if Im swapping I might as well get a b18 or 16 but I am wondering the price of an engine with under 40k on it being swapped into my car with a tranny.

I am not comfortable doing this myself and I go to school and live in LA so it should be easy to find a place to do it. (Anyone in the socal area know a good place?)

Long story short: I'm looking for the price, including installation, of putting a new engine and tranny in. Either d16y8, b16, or a b18 with under 40k.

Current Problems:
Leaking oil
Burning oil
Overheats while idling
Suspected bad head gasket...again
Gears all crunch
2nd is basically gone
Third is going

RonJ 04-26-2009 07:33 PM

On the current D16Y8 engine:

-Have you compression tested the cylinders or done leak down tests?
-Does the radiator fan run when the engine is hot?
-Is the tranny fluid low. Have you been using Honda MTF?
-Where is the engine leaking oil from?

2000Ex 04-26-2009 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by RonJ (Post 638975)
On the current D16Y8 engine:

-Have you compression tested the cylinders or done leak down tests?
-Does the radiator fan run when the engine is hot?
-Is the tranny fluid low. Have you been using Honda MTF?
-Where is the engine leaking oil from?

1.no
2.yes
3.i have changed it twice in the last 30k
4. unsure. its not a bad leak. 1 little spot over night..can barely see it. It is burning though. 1 quart a month maybe...

2000Ex 04-27-2009 06:42 AM

So bump for answer: how much does a swap installed cost on an engine and tranny under 40k miles. Prices on both d16y8 and b16 and b18 ls would be nice

RonJ 04-27-2009 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by 2000Ex (Post 638988)
1.no
2.yes
3.i have changed it twice in the last 30k
4. unsure. its not a bad leak. 1 little spot over night..can barely see it. It is burning though. 1 quart a month maybe...

I was trying to figure out whether your best course of action would be to replace or repair the current engine.

1. Is the head gasket currently blown or has it been replaced? The tests I suggested would determine whether the oil burning is from the piston rings, head gasket, or valve stem seals. You could repair the latter two if the engine has not already been destroyed by overheating.

2. Have you bled the cooling system as instructed in the service manual?

3. Did you use Honda or Honda-recommended MTF? It can make a difference.

2000Ex 04-27-2009 03:56 PM

1. Head gasket was blown once when turboed. But there was no damage. It was caught in time. I am suspecting a small crack but unsure. Where can i get a compression test and how much would it be? What tool does it take, maybe a neighbor coudl do it?

2. Yea, I flushed the whole thing less than 10k ago. Fan switch was replaced abobut 30k ago...it went out once but it seems good.

3. I did use honda stuff. I think I may have a leak in the tranny. I will be replacing it one final time the week after next. (Clutch has maybe 20k on it)

RonJ 04-27-2009 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by 2000Ex (Post 639088)
1. Head gasket was blown once when turboed. But there was no damage. It was caught in time. I am suspecting a small crack but unsure. Where can i get a compression test and how much would it be? What tool does it take, maybe a neighbor coudl do it?

2. Yea, I flushed the whole thing less than 10k ago.

1) You can rent or purchase the gauges to compression test the cylinders at an auto parts store. Also look at Harbor Freight Tools if you want to purchase. Click the Compression link in my signature.

2) Flush is different than bleed. Or did you mean you bled the system?

2000Ex 04-28-2009 02:30 PM

1. Yea I found that diy after I posted. I will do that.

2. I flushed and bled. Sorry. I can check for more bubbles but I did a good job.