HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   sending out a feeler: naturally aspirating (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/sending-out-feeler-naturally-aspirating-32526/)

khomol 11-13-2006 09:42 AM

sending out a feeler: naturally aspirating

Peace ppl

I'm really stuck here. I've got a B16a2...the si 2000 model. Want to keep it naturally aspirating. Is there any point in doing anything to it cos if you boost then one would assume that you have to replace and strengthen engine parts. on that model you cant change the ECU. Want more power yes...but dont want to shorten the life of the engine.

I've seen on wikipedia and here that the B16A2 packs out 160bhp. I'm looking to pull at least 200+bhp and i'll be happy with that.

Point being, i wanna keep this car, i wanna look after it, but the British motorways are full of uncle jeffery's on a sunday afternoon stroll in their well expensive cars and i just wanna over take a couple of the mo fo's once in a while.

What can be done?

Thanks
K

Remmy 11-13-2006 09:44 AM

RE: sending out a feeler: naturally aspirating

To get 200bhp out of that without a turbo you are going to need engine internals... period. A turbo with a proper tune and low boost should help you achieve close to that and still be dependable.

BTW, if your engine stop aspirating Id be a little worried. :D

khomol 11-13-2006 09:49 AM

By internals u mean, polished ports, changing cams& springs& balancing right?

And dont u need to strengthen parts of the engine if you boost?

Also how much bhp can u actually get from a boost?

riceburner700 11-13-2006 11:06 AM

usualy internals are like pistons/rods/ balancing and posibly some head work

Nail I3unny 11-13-2006 04:50 PM

i dont consider headwork 'internals'...but thats just me.

if you get some sweet ITB's along with a good PnP, 3-way valve job, cams, header, hi-flow cat, exhaust...you wouldnt rellay have to deal with pistons and rods.

Kedawei 11-14-2006 01:02 AM

I've never seen a NA B16. Everybody builds B18s NA.

khomol 11-24-2006 10:27 AM

B18s an integra right?

Kedawei 11-24-2006 10:51 AM

Yeah. All the hardcore NA guys will use a B18C (GSR) block and head, B18A/B/B20 (LS, CRV) crank, forged rods and pistons, and 84-87mm sleeves.

An idea I've had, and is probably the best bang for your buck if you're looking for a high power NA set up, is to use a B20 block, stock crank and sleeves (bored to 84.5mm), with forged rods and pistons, and a B18C head (ported, etc.). This set up should be good for 200-250 to the wheels, or more, depending on the builder's budget/knowledge.

Really though, since you already have the motor, there are some things you can if you have to stay NA. I'd rather boost a B16 though. Do a compression and leakdown test to determine the health of your motor first. If everything checks out 200-300 boosted whp on the stock motor should be managable (the lower the more-so), provided you have a good tune. Good tuning is key.

Nail I3unny 11-24-2006 07:20 PM

H23 bottom with a H22 head is supposed to be one badass combo for N/A

Kedawei 11-27-2006 03:09 PM

ORIGINAL: Nail I3unny

H23 bottom with a H22 head is supposed to be one badass combo for N/A
Actually, the r/s ratio with the H23 is horrible. 1.49:1. (1.58:1 on the H22.)