Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Shifting

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2005, 05:25 PM
Default Shifting

I was watching my buddy race his 99 honda ex, (sitting in passgener seat), he was shifting in the red rpm range. he thinks thats the best way to race a 5spd is to let the rpm reach the red zone. how can I convince him that it ruins the engine or tranny.I believe the best way is to (in a race of course) shift is right before the red zone. Who is right here.

Old 07-27-2005, 05:36 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Shifting

I don't even watch the tach. Get to know your car. When it stops pulling- shift.

But if you need something to tell your buddy... tell him that his car makes peak Hp @ 6600 rpm so what's the point of him going beyond that?

Old 07-27-2005, 05:47 PM

wow your the new sacions (your like superman), hows the supercharger going, how much did cost. did you have to make any upgrades in order to install it, does it have any bad sideeffects on the engine. i am going to shutup now

Old 07-27-2005, 05:59 PM
HCF Member

I am faaaaaaaaarrrrrr from Sacicons. You and I just happen to be on at the same time every day, which isn't too tough because I am on at least 8 hours a day. But I have learned enough on here to answer a Q. every now and then.

The supercharger is going Ok. I got about half of it done today before work. The beauty of the Jackson set-up is that you don't have to upgrade your internals with the stock kit. You dont' even need I/H/E because they have tested like every component in the universe and found no (or nominal) gains with them. Not even a cam. How's that for "bolt-on" power? The other thing is that there is a bypass valve on it so when you aren't hard on the gas... no boost and no extra wear on the motor, but I imagine as with any serious upgrade it has to shorten the life some, but how many turbos do you see with a 100,000 mile warranty?

Old 07-27-2005, 06:04 PM

how much hp does it promise, how much did it cost you. ANd you said that it can turn off when not needed, how.

Old 07-27-2005, 06:08 PM
HCF Member

Check out their FAQ's. I read them like 30 times while I was waiting on mine.

Jackson Racing's FAQ's

Old 07-27-2005, 06:14 PM

still reading,but how much did it cost YOU. looks like i might get a supercharger later on, instead of a turbo/

Old 07-27-2005, 09:07 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Street Sniper

I don't even watch the tach. Get to know your car. When it stops pulling- shift.
you could get a shift light. polo posted a nice sequential LED one a while back...it had like four yellow lights, a red, and a green one. supposedly you could see it approaching the shift point so you dont even have to react, or have mad reaction skills. and the green LED is supposed to be bright enough that you dont have to look directly at it when your racing.

Old 07-28-2005, 02:42 PM

shift lights are nice. even the little ones you can see without looking at it. so im sure the huge ones there wouldnt be any problem seeing it out of the corner of your eye.

Old 07-28-2005, 03:40 PM

is he taking it past redline? because its only at 7k so if he wants to wait that long, he'll loose a couple hundreths. but i guess he can do what he wants. tell your buddy to get a swap.

Quick Reply: Shifting