HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   Should i keep my single vtech D ?? (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/should-i-keep-my-single-vtech-d-76019/)

madjoker14 06-03-2009 05:19 PM

Should i keep my single vtech D ??

sup everyone, im at a point where i dont know what to do, but i am sure about my auto to manual conversion.

I got a member from here that recently totaled there civic, i called him up and he could get me the entire DX conversion for my EX 2 door civic(price is still pending).

Now b4 i buy this trani i just want some imput from u guys, i want my car (in general) to be pretty fast (i want 200 hp) i want to boost it down the road and just basically keep it as a everyday car, now alooot of people tell me to swap the motor out but i want to keep my D16y8.

Now can i make those numbers with tunning n hopefully all engine (at least 160 all engine,then 200 with boost) with a d16y8 and a dx trani conversion, because i really dont want to get rid of my single vtech.

Thanks in advance for any help guy

NIKE H34D 06-03-2009 05:27 PM

Keep the y8 and boost it lol, its easier in every way

cvcrcr99 06-03-2009 05:32 PM

I am somewhat confused as to what you are asking exactly since there wasn't a question in that entire post whatsoever.

So you're sure that you want to get 5 speed, and your current car is automatic, right?

Are you asking us if it is better to swap trannies and keep the d16, or swap in a full b16, b18 and get the manual set up, or buy a new car which is already manual????

Are you asking us if 200whp is attainable in a boosted d16? If so, then yes, it is possible.

C'mon man....over 200 posts on HCF...... *vtec... tsk tsk you should know better. lol

madjoker14 06-03-2009 06:13 PM

lol sorry im just confused, didnt mean to confuse anyone else.

i currently have a 2door 99 civic, with a stock auto trani and a stock D16y8 engine,
i want to swap out my current auto trani for a manual dx trani that a member here is selling me,and my question is, is it worth doing work on a d16y8 engine?

if its not i wont waste my money on the dx manual trani that im planing to buy to install with the d16. like i sayd b4 i want the d16 as a everyday driver, and i want it to pull around the 200whp, but if thats not possible with a single vtech d16 then i woldnt go through with the current dx manual trani conversion that im about to buy.

u know reading back at my first post, it didnt make any sense lol hope this 1 sounds way better

NIKE H34D 06-03-2009 06:16 PM

VTEC!!!!!!!!!!!! dam it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stay with the d16!!!! much less work and for 200whp it will do its not like your shooting for the stars just keep it simple

madjoker14 06-03-2009 06:24 PM

lol so yes, is that a yes

rc2904 06-03-2009 06:44 PM

VTEC!!!!!!!!!!!! dam it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This is his way of saying 'Its spelled vtec not vtech.'

Anyway

Boost the D if you want a decently fast car that wont be a ton of work.
If your really looking for a project and want to invest more time and money to get a better end result, get yourself a B engine.
Im kind of in the same boat as you on this one. Personally I think im going to just wait untill I can afford to get a good B18. I figure id rather spend time building up the better engine and eventually boosting it rather than take the cheap quick way out and boost a stock D engine. In the meantime I will probably just get a good intake/exhaust (which will carry over to new engine anyway) and work on my visual/audio stuff first.

madjoker14 06-03-2009 07:14 PM

lol, cool and rc i see ur point as well, they way that i see it is that i cant afford a b at the moment and prob wont with school and what not (not trying to make excuses) but i think my current d would have to do and for the money that im working with its a good match

now 2 more questions

1 of my friends that its best to stick with the dx trani since its got longer gears, and for boost this is perfect since u can ride them out, is this true

and also for this trani swap what would the average price be a shop to do this conversion? 200 bucks for labor?

rc2904 06-03-2009 10:33 PM

Honestly I would expect to get robbed by a shop to convert auto to standard. Aside from the tranny you have to consider the linkage, clutch, short shifter (as good a time as any to get one, you have to buy a shifter anyway) that all have to be assembled.
For how much it would cost for parts and labor, i imagine you can get a lot more bang for your buck leaving it auto and upgrading some things. Do you have anything done to your engine right now like intake, exhaust, header, etc? I havent been dealing with Hondas for long at all but I know with my old Grand Am that you can get quite a bit of extra power in the mid rpm range by spending $100 on new cams. Dont see a lot of hype about cams here tho...

NIKE H34D 06-04-2009 10:37 AM

i remember i found a really cheap tranny for my 96 ex i had that was an auto and i wanted to swap... but when i asked bout it, people said it would still cost about 1000 all together and i decided it wasnt worth it...

https://www.hondacivicforum.com/foru...ad.php?t=31774