Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Silly question about 99 Coupe Si(R) engine

Old 02-24-2005, 08:19 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Silly question about 99 Coupe Si(R) engine

yeah, i think it was the marketing department that found that extra 3-5 hp. and a lot of people up the gsr to 180, so its pretty common to round up.

Old 02-25-2005, 01:40 AM

I have e-mailed the guys on that page to find out how much they will charge me for getting one of those all the way over to and into Norway. The price isn't all that bad for the swap itself, but then again, I live in Norway (so I have to pay 25% taxes on top of whatever the parts itself will cost me), and I will probably have to pay atleast 2-3000$ on top of that again just to get my license plate back on the car after swapping.

For a 1990 Nissan 300ZX Z32 3.0 litre V6 TT with 300hp I have to pay about 87500$ in taxes when registering the car with norwegian plates (you do get a 70% discount because of the age, but still the tax is just CRAZY). So for a 200hp Civic I will have to pay an insane amount because it's so new.. Almost no discount on a 99-model. And you can't just pay for the "extra" 40 hp up from the original, no.. You have a new engine, so you pay for all the 200 horses (and literaly paying two times for the 160 first horses).

Norway stinks bigtime when dealing with cars. And the government don't understand why we are all driving around in old, poluting and dangerous cars.. Maybe because of the taxes you say? Well, try to tell them. Then I sell my old B16 engine to this lucky fella and guess what.. He have to pay those same taxes I just did when importing the car, AGAIN. Because to him this is a new engine. So for me importing a car, and swapping my engine the government get taxes for my B16 when I imported it, and from the guy who buys it, plus they get from me when I "import" the new engine and put it in my car. And don't forget the 25% in taxes they put on all sales (that I also have to pay for on top of the original car, and the new swap when I pay for that one, and the new guy need to pay when buying my B16).

If this isn't madness, please tell me what is.

Old 02-25-2005, 06:54 AM

wow....i thought california taxes were bad I'm not 100% sure its even worth all that

Old 02-25-2005, 08:21 AM
HCF Member

yeah, maybe ill stop complaining about California taxes. of course, if you have the money, can you get away with doing just about anything there? if so, that COULD be nice. oh, and i assume you meant eight thousand seven hundred and fifty dollars, not the eighty seven thousand five hundred that you wrote.

Old 02-25-2005, 08:25 AM

ORIGINAL: sacicons

yeah, maybe ill stop complaining about California taxes. of course, if you have the money, can you get away with doing just about anything there? if so, that COULD be nice. oh, and i assume you meant eight thousand seven hundred and fifty dollars, not the eighty seven thousand five hundred that you wrote.
I'm sorry but I ment 87 500$.. Not 8 750$.. I told you it was crazy, didn't I? Because of the age you get about 70% discount on those 87 500$'s, but it's still alot of money to pay for a 16 year old 300ZX.. I see all the persons in here who are maybe 22, 23 years old and got 2003, 2004 and even 2005 model Ex's and I almost start to cry.. To buy something like that in Norway would mean winning a lottery first. Only because the government want a big chunk of income from everything you do.. An example I noticed today: Norway earn 870 000 000 norwegian kroner (about 109 million dollars) every year from this new suger tax they put on chocolates alone. Icecream and cookies etc don't have this tax. No wonder **** is expensive.. 75% of the price on a regular chocolate is taxes... I'm not kidding.

But yes, you can do almost anything as long as you can pay the insane taxes. That's why I'm planning to get 400-ish hp in my Civic It will just take some time. I'm actually considering getting the B18C swap now and sleeving the block at Golden Eagle (the same guys who did the 553 whp Civic's block in the video), and get new internals from modacar.com and build it in USA at some shop before sending it back to Norway and putting it in my car. It will cost a ****load, but damn it will run nice when it's all done. Just let me save some cash for a year or two first and I can afford it.