Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Something's not too good

Old 01-15-2007, 12:50 AM
HCF Member
Default Something's not too good

Well, on my way home, my car "broke down".
I was driving about 75-80mph in 5th gear and all of a sudden I see my check engine light starting to flash and such. My check engine light was already on due to the thing that sensors the vibrations in the engine was loose and my mechanic said its nothing to worry about and that the part needed would be shipped.
Well back on my problem. After the check engine light was flashing, or you know you see a difference in the steady check engine light, and then the front started to shake and my speedometer was jumping. I'd be at around 70 and it'd jump to 80, ect. So I pulled it over, gave it some time, and tried to start it again. When off, seemed to be fine, but then continued to do it again. This time I was driving around 60, and then as I got off the freeway, driving around 40mph it was still doing the same thing. I pulled into a farmer boys and turned it off. About 10 minutes later, I tried to start it again, it ran for about 10 seconds and just shut off. This time I just called for a tower, and got it towed to my house.
Any suggestions on what it could be? I was told either the vaccum valves or the fuel filter...
But being as unknowledged about cars as a caveman, I wouldn't know.
Thanks

Old 01-15-2007, 12:51 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Something's not too good

Gahh, knowing now there is no vaccum valves on a civic, and it couldn't be my alternator belt, I checked to see if it was loose, and I put some pressure on the belt and it didn't budge, so it doesn't seem to be loose.

Old 01-15-2007, 06:41 AM
Recognized HCF Member

well the first things you should check are fuel pressure, comepression, spark

Old 01-16-2007, 01:16 AM
HCF Member

actually first thing to check would be to see what codes your computer is pulling up and go from there. for the most part you computer will be able to tell you whats going on with your engine and transmission(auto's) and you will be able to diagnose from there. however if there are no codes that would have anything to do with whats going on with your car, refer to the previous post. theres no sense in shooting in the dark for problems if yoru computer system already knows whats wrong

Old 01-16-2007, 01:32 AM
HCF Member

final,

Sorry to say, but like I said I'm not really experienced in cars. Computer? And where? :P

Old 01-16-2007, 01:52 AM
HCF Member

well to properly answer yoru question i would also need to know what year your car is [8D]

Old 01-16-2007, 01:53 AM
HCF Member

1999 Honda Civic EX 2door

Old 01-16-2007, 11:53 AM
HCF Member

passanger side, unde the dash, there is a blue plug, jump the wires with a paper clip and thats all i remember...somthing about a light that flases x amount of times....

Old 01-16-2007, 05:16 PM
HCF Member

Are you able to be more specific? I couldn't find it.. =/

Old 01-16-2007, 09:17 PM

reach up under the dash, it should be near the door, but you gotta reach for the wires.

question though, arent 6th gens obd II?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Something's not too good