HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   Spark plug advice (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/spark-plug-advice-42192/)

ufcebuano 04-13-2007 10:01 AM

Spark plug advice

I will soon be replacing the sparkplugs on my 94 Civic EX A/T. I came across DENSO Iridium sparkplugs. Do these really work and any ideas how much they cost? How much HP gain should I expect from these sparkplugs? The engine for my car is a D16Z6.

Thanks!

cpl rampage 04-13-2007 10:04 AM

RE: Spark plug advice

you probably wont see any hp gain over new regular plugs, they just should last a lil longer. in the best u might get better gas mileage. i would just stick with some new stock ngk plugs

ufcebuano 04-13-2007 10:14 AM

much appreciated, thanks!

Forty04 04-13-2007 10:59 AM

It states clearly in the manual NOT to use iridium plugs.

NGK OEM replacements are where its at, hands down

ej6buddy 04-13-2007 11:04 AM

it's also recommended to not replace the spark plugs for no reason, unless your current set is defected, save yourself the trouble. since you're working on an aluminum cylinder head, the spark plug threads can easily be stripped, so only change them when it's absolutely necessary. and unless you're running on 3 cylinders, you won't see a change in horsepower, unless they are fouled out.

the_turtle 04-13-2007 11:20 AM

why are iridium plugs bad? the manual tells you to do a lot of things that not even the dealer does, like use Thier MT fluid....dealers use 10w-30 motor oil....im sure the plugs cant hurt it....but yea, no real horespower gains, if you get your gap and TQ. settings right, you can see a tiny bit better gas milage...

Also cpl. rampage, i thought my manual gave a milage interval to change plugs and somthing else? maybey its a difference between 5-6th gens? oh wells

Forty04 04-13-2007 11:22 AM

ORIGINAL: the_turtle

why are iridium plugs bad? the manual tells you to do a lot of things that not even the dealer does, like use Thier MT fluid....dealers use 10w-30 motor oil....im sure the plugs cant hurt it....but
Well, you feel free to take the chance. I for one will stick with the 8 dollar set of NGK's ;)

the_turtle 04-13-2007 11:28 AM

i just bought some...i dont think they were iridum plugs, i belive they were NGK....it still runs fine. lol

riceburner700 04-13-2007 12:17 PM

ngks. i ran those iridium plugs for like 2 days on my boosted d. It hated them. so im running some bkr7e's now

cpl rampage 04-13-2007 01:09 PM

yah the manual; tells u to change then at certain intervals, but if u dont iridiums usually last longer