Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Still Confused.

Old 01-07-2006, 11:39 PM
HCF Member
Default Still Confused.

Okay, so as some know, I have been having some idling problems. This all happend right after I messed with my thermostat. If you remember, I was going to put a 160 degree one in, but ended up taking it out and putting the stock one back on, because it ran like crapola. So here is the problem. Start the car and its idling cold at like 2,000 rms, after a bit it will go from 1-1500 or 1-2000 different each day. The cars temp gauge will be in the middle after driving for a few mins, but the motor is still cold (BOV doesnt go off when cars cold and the heat is blowing ice cold when cranked, but the water temp gauge is in the middle.) Sometimes when the car is in D and I'm moving slowly the idle goes from 1-2000 and the car jerks front and back. Also, when im driving in D and I let off the gas, the Tach drops normally, but then it will kick in at 1500 or so, without me touching the gas petal. Its not a vac leak (pretty sure, i sprayed carb cleaner on some lines and none bogged the motor) and im getting my timing belt done this week, so ill have HONDA re-set the timing...........could this be a BAD TPS? I replaced the PCV valve too, so thats not a problem either. This is driving me absolutely up the wall. Im thinking it could have to do with the thermostat? Im going to toss the 160 back in and see if it helps. Oh and I bled the coolany system too, so thats not it either........Any ideas? Timing is off? TPS>? WTF>!?

Old 01-08-2006, 12:00 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Still Confused.

did you miss a ground wire or something back there while you were putting it back together?

Old 01-08-2006, 12:03 AM
HCF Member

Im pretty sure i got everything. There werent too many wires or anything on the thermostat housing.......im going to toss the 160 back in though, bcuz summers going to suck, and ima get a bigger radiator too.

you think i missed a wire? IS THAT whats causing this?

Old 01-08-2006, 12:33 AM
HCF Member

i almost cant get mine heated up enough to use VTEC or the heater, and all i have is the twin core radiator. i had to put aluminum tape over the top part of it to slow the airflow down enough for winter. if its raining out, i can make it the 20 minute drive to work without it hitting the lowest line on the temp gauge[&:]

Old 01-08-2006, 01:04 AM
HCF Member

So should i Shy away from the 160 thermo and rad?

Old 01-08-2006, 01:15 AM
HCF Member

not with a turbo, but honestly, unless you get into road racing, i would not go more than the twin core rad, and the 160s. i think the fluidyne is a bit much for daily drivability. but if you can get the peak temp down from 180 to 160, it shouldnt hurt low-temp performance.

Old 01-08-2006, 02:33 AM
HCF Member

okay, so what the hell do u think is causing this weird *** problem im having? Any other ideas than a wire being loose or whatever? could it be timing got retarded somehow?

Old 01-08-2006, 02:43 AM
HCF Member

i did this to myself once.. maybe you have also? it was that simply took out the slack in my throttle cable. dont know why, but sure enough, i loosened the cable it went away... free to try anyway?

Old 01-08-2006, 06:35 AM

drive a standard wussy.

Old 01-08-2006, 06:23 PM
HCF Member

ive got an even weirder problem since i put on my manifold. mine will jump from 1k-1500 but not while im rolling, even if the clutch is down. only when i come to a stop, then it does it about 5-10 times, then goes back to normal.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Still Confused.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.