HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   Stock engine to H22A...Need Help!!!! (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/stock-engine-h22a-need-help-46891/)

AMRSKLCIVIC 06-24-2007 10:00 AM

Stock engine to H22A...Need Help!!!!

I bought a H22A engine for my 93 Honda Civic HB and plan on swapping it with the old engine. Has anyone done this exact swap before, if so what problems did you encounter and what should I look out for?

I need all the help I can get.

So far from what I read:
There is a space issue if there is an ac.....no ac in the car so thats ok.
Engine weighs more, there fore need better suspension.....Should I use a prelude suspension???
Will there be enough room for a turbo install?
I know I definitly need mounting brackets to install the new engine becuase of bolt on issues.

Marty 06-24-2007 11:34 AM

RE: Stock engine to H22A...Need Help!!!!

a upgraded suspension for a civic is needed, a prelude supension will not work
yes there is room to turbo it

you also need a prelude shifter, shifter assemble, and you need to make way in the firewall for the cables to operate the shifter or you can buy a H2B adapter plate, use a B series transmission and not worry about dealing with all the prelude shifter assemble/cables and such.

http://www.quartersportsdrag.com/H2B.html

reaper2022 06-24-2007 03:57 PM

^ +1

Also, since Marty didn't cover it:
Yes, there's room in the engine bay for a turbo kit. But the problem with H22's is that they don't like boost; the engine blocks are weak as far as blocks go. I'm not saying it's impossible to boost a stock H22, but you'd have to keep the boost fairly low. Then again, you could sleeve the block and turn the boost up

And, yes, many people have done this swap before. Well, not as many as, say a b16 or a b18 swap, but still, a lot of people have.

Lost 06-24-2007 04:34 PM

^ its not that the blocks are weak, its that the sleeves themselves are FRM. Its a fiber-based material that should not be honed or bored or boosted.

AMRSKLCIVIC 06-27-2007 03:48 PM

What's a good price for a sleeve job on a h22a engine?
This will be a long project with lots of money being put into the car.
Is there anything I should change out after boosting the car such as, flywheel, cam shaft etc...if so what will the changes help with?
Would I be able to supercharge and turbo charge the car once its sleeved or will that be too much boost?
Also what's a good brand name for a turbo that will give the most boost and is the most reliable.

MY99SI 06-30-2007 12:41 PM

1100 ish. giveing u find a good place to do it for a good price. if money's not an option i'de do the H2B swap b/c the Hseries transmissions arent very strong.

look in to stronger axles, Engine management, everythign else. itsn ot goin to be cheap.. especially if your goin to build a motor.
why would you want to Twin charge it? that'd be dumb. stick to a turbo or s/c one or the other. there is not a specific turbo out htere that'll give you the most boost and most reliable

it all comes down to how good of a job your goin to do and how much your goin to spend.

650 on mounts from hasport, 350-400 on axles for stock replace ment/swap axles, and the wiring nightmare.

AMRSKLCIVIC 07-04-2007 06:08 AM

Thanks for that info. You say the transmission isn't that strong....what about an LSD transmission. They are suppose to be the newer ones with more power handling right?
Sois there no specific turbo that would better suit high power applications? Should I just stick with the Garret T3/T4?

drbyers 07-04-2007 07:17 AM

if you want mad horsepower then you're gonna have to build up the h22 block with high performance rods and pistons at the least.

what are your hp goals?

AMRSKLCIVIC 07-04-2007 11:31 AM

I sort of figured I would have to interchage most of the stock performance parts. In order to achieve 320-350hp what main parts would have to be interchanged?
Would an LSD transmission be able to sustain that kind of hp?
What about the clutch, I really don't want to keep the stock clutch put the engine in and find out it has to be changed afterif you know what I mean.

riceburner700 07-04-2007 08:47 PM

www.laskeyracing.com does dan benson sleeved blocks for 1025 shipped back to you