HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   Stroker kit (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/stroker-kit-26938/)

sway2003 08-09-2006 02:17 PM

Stroker kit

I have a B18A that I will start building soon for turbo that I'm keeping non-vtec. I am about to purchase a stroker kit from a local shop. The kit comes with everything, pistons, rings, rods, crank, etc. I have a choice of JE or SRP pistons and they are 9.0:1 and they quoted me 1300 for the kit which will stroke it out to a 2.0L. This is the best price that I've seen so far for a complete kit and was wondering if thats a good price, and since I'm going turbo what will be a better choice flat or dome shaped pistons?

pWnEdU 08-09-2006 04:45 PM

RE: Stroker kit

Why would you stroke it if you're going to turbo it? If you're boosting it then you don't need any more displacement. Besides, a stroker kit will lower your useable RPM range.

sway2003 08-09-2006 05:05 PM

well I plan on building the bottom end, and I was given prices for a OE spec low cr kit, and a low cr stroker kit, and they were the same price. So since it wouldnt cost extra, I planned on the stroker kit for more displacement. How does a stroker kit lower my useable RPM range?

pWnEdU 08-09-2006 05:43 PM

Longer stroke equals WAY more stress on the rods per a given RPM, and it just that much farther for the piston to travel.

If they're both the same price, I would stroke it though... just because it would give you more torque and better response while still all motor before boost, and it's easier to find the correct turbo for an engine that doesn't rev into the atmosphere.

Nail I3unny 08-09-2006 05:53 PM

would i be correct in assuming its a Crower kit? i know Crower only offers SRP, JE, and CP pistons with their kits and doesnt make their own. if so, then the 2.0L crower kit will be ok for boost...but the 2.19 would be better because it is the same stroke with bigger pistons, so you bore out the cylinders more.

its about average as far as crower kits go.

sway2003 08-09-2006 06:00 PM

What turbo would you recommend with this setup? I am in the blue printing phases right now with my motor. I plan on throwing everything in at once, including the turbo. I have been looking at a t3/t4 with a .48 trim, but thats just by all the threads I have read. I have no problem spending a lot of money since it's going to be a 2 year project. I have already planned on spending about 7k, with a fully built motor with a turbo. I already know that I'm staying non-vtec with a B18A head with stage 2 crower turbo cams, AEM adjustable 5-bolt cam gears, Crower stainless steel springs and retainers, and port and polish with probably an ITR style intake manifold with throttle body, and throttlebody Spacer. So obviously I have the head figured out, its just figuring out the bottom end. I am completely open to all suggestions and criticism, because the worst thing you can do is completely build an engine with the wrong info. BTW I know that you may ask why dont I go vtec or GSR, it because i got the B18A FOR FREE!

pWnEdU 08-09-2006 06:14 PM

Going w/o vtec on a boosted setup is probably better anyways.

T3/T4 turbos are great.

Get forged rods and some good pistons along with some ARP goodies. I would suggest calling crower and asking them.

Nail I3unny 08-09-2006 06:16 PM

garrett T3/T04E, .63AR, stage 3, 50 trim compressor

pWnEdU 08-09-2006 06:37 PM

Is this going to be a daily driver? Weekend toy? Autocross? Drag? Each requires a different setup.

HP goals?

No one can make a proper recommendation until we know that basic info.

sway2003 08-09-2006 08:47 PM

This is definately a daily driver, I plan on running about 7-10 psi daily, 10-13 when toying around, and maybe 15-18 on the track, depends, I'm going from a d16y8 stock, so any psi will be a tremendous difference. I really want to hit some good hp figures, but keep it reliable 250-350 depending on what psi im running and octane. I want to keep away from a fuel management system for now, so i wont be beating on the car. and yes Nail its a Crower with JE or SRP pistons, I havent really heard anything bad about crower so i'm gonna stick with them as much as possible.

sway2003 08-09-2006 09:47 PM

Nail recommended this size turbo for what I'm looking to do for my motor great price should I buy it for my set up? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Turbo...spagenameZWDVW

sway2003 08-09-2006 09:49 PM

I heard ssautochrome sucks for their manifolds, but this says it brand new, should I trust it?

Kedawei 08-10-2006 01:05 AM

I don't know how durable the 87mm bore would be in the 2.19l build under high boost. It seems like that'd be stretching the cylinder walls fairly thin, and the added stroke is going to intensify wear on the cylinder walls. I'm no expert on B-series, but you might want to look into that before going through with it. At least get the pistons coated with an anti-friction finish. That should help protect the cylinder walls a bit.

Marty 08-10-2006 04:08 PM

stroking is not needed here and is money thrown down the drain. You can make the power levels you want with a set of weisco pistons, crower rods, crower turbo cams, a nice turbo setup, and good fuel management and a good tune. Stock B18B have been known to be safe upto around 300whp in stock trim and with the parts I listed you could on a good tune make way over 350whp

sway2003 08-10-2006 05:47 PM

Do you think since I'm in the bottom of the motor just to replace everything as far as internals (ie crank, bearings, etc.) I dont want to take any chances with mixing old parts with new parts. I just think it would be a good idea since I can get decent prices and if I'm in there anyways, but hey thats why i'm here for help and advice, i appreciate the info.

sway2003 08-10-2006 05:50 PM

and I have taken all of your advice and im planning to stay with a JE or SRP kit, but OE sizes, but going from .81 stock rings to .84, I figure that whats the point of stroking and losing the precious boost rpms.

Marty 08-10-2006 07:31 PM

Keep the crank stock, Honda cranks are known to handle a good 700+hp. Just a good set of rods, pistons, cams, replace all berrings, and and gaskets and boost it.

sway2003 08-10-2006 10:16 PM

thanks for the help

Marty 08-10-2006 11:53 PM

No problem. The biggest thing about the LS engine is it is not at all rev happy. You can make it so it will handle high revs but that is all it will do is handle them. Keep the rev limiter with in a 400/500rpm area of stock(7200rpm) and get it tuned correctly and your golden. I personally watched the setup I described with AEM EMS, a log style manifold, and a SC61 turbo along with 550cc injectors, a beefy intercooler, 3 inch down pipe and exhaust, and 2.5 inch charge piping roll 515whp and 500wtq on 28psi. It was setup for daily on 18psi making 365whp and 380wtq and would break loose through 4th gear on nitto 555's. It was a boss, I never got to see it run at the track but he said it was in the high 12's when tuned at 22psi which was laying down 430whp and he was only pulling 2.1 60 foot times but he was trapping at around 120mph.