HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   stupid question? (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/stupid-question-38248/)

03civiclxcoupe 02-16-2007 01:48 PM

stupid question?

i kno this might sound like a stupid question but is 200hp the same amount of power in a 4 cyl as in a 6 cyl ....like if there was a 4 cyl and a 6 cyl engine same liters and hp would one be more powerful?

droopy128 02-16-2007 01:54 PM

RE: stupid question?

Then you would take weight into consideration.

FlipHKD720 02-16-2007 01:56 PM

ORIGINAL: droopy128

Then you would take weight into consideration.
true, and 200 whp in a Civic would be damn good :)

quadracer420 02-17-2007 09:45 AM

ok wouldent the6 rev higher? Now whats better 4 big pistons or 6 little ones?

Tater 02-17-2007 10:07 AM

ORIGINAL: quadracer420

ok wouldent the6 rev higher? Now whats better 4 big pistons or 6 little ones?
6 little ones putting out the same amount of HP BECAUSE it would be easier to turn. :)

Kedawei 02-17-2007 10:49 AM

HP is calculated the same way for any engine, regardless of its configuration. RPM capability will hinge on more important factors than 4, 6, or 8 cylinders, mainly the design of the engine, and the strength and balance of the engine components. There are some generalities that can be appliedto all engines, as physics are inescapable here on planet Earth, heh. But "4 big pistons vs. 6 little ones" istoo vague of a generalization to be considered. Engines should be approach more specifically. If you like a certain car and are interested in its performance capablities, look into that cars engine options. No type of basis of judgement can be made from such small factors. Engines are complex, with a lot of componentscausing different effects and repercussions on each other simultaneouslyastheengine turns.

Nail I3unny 02-17-2007 07:35 PM

horsepower is measured at the flywheel. 200hp is 200hp whether it comes from four cylinders or fourteen.

ORIGINAL: Kedawei

But "4 big pistons vs. 6 little ones" istoo vague of a generalization to be considered.
not only that...but to ask which is better is a subjective term. a 6cyl engine will weight more and be worse in the corners, but it will also make power at lower RPM's so you hit your powerband faster. 4cyl will give you higher RPM's meaning you spend less time shifting, but it also means that it does take longer to hit your effective powerband.

this is why i dont like 'This vs. That' questions...theyre all too subjective.

Kedawei 02-18-2007 09:08 AM

Horsepower is actually calculated. Torque is measured.

Kedawei 02-18-2007 09:20 AM

ORIGINAL: Nail I3unny

a 6cyl engine will weight more and be worse in the corners, but it will also make power at lower RPM's so you hit your powerband faster. 4cyl will give you higher RPM's meaning you spend less time shifting, but it also means that it does take longer to hit your effective powerband.

Who says? A small V6 or I6 could weigh less than a large iron block 4 cylinder. A 6 cylinder could have the capability to rev higher than 4 cylinder. A V8 could outreva 4 cylinder. These generalizations are too vague! Approach engines individually!

blackmetal619 02-18-2007 12:03 PM

ORIGINAL: Nail I3unny

horsepower is measured at the flywheel. 200hp is 200hp whether it comes from four cylinders or fourteen.

exactly...like which is heavier a pound of feathers or a pound of nails