Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Tell me what you think about this....

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 01:28 PM
HCF Member
Default Tell me what you think about this....

First off the reason I am going to do this engine build (non-vtec) is 1- I just really dont like vtec i dont knwo why I just dont. and 2- I cannot find a reasonably price B18swap with a hydraulic transmition that would allow me to rebuild it without taking out a loan etc.....

This is my plan I have cunstructed through some hours of research and some last minute thinking....
-D series engine block depending on how cheap i can get one might be able to get a full dx swap for 250$ so theres the price of that and I sell the head not going to use that and exspecially not going to use anything related to the head(intakemanifold, throttle body the list can go on).....So get that block I think he said it was a D15b7 so yea using that as my base....or a D15B2

-Locating a Y7 head due to the fact I prefer that spark plug position compared to the other one(not to mention I can throw my HONDA valve cover on it) and its newer.....but im still going to rebuild it.....and maybe port it

-Finding a Y8 intake manifold and using a throttle body of a good size 60+ is what im shooting for

-Then comes the rebuild part pretty straight forward though I am having trouble finding a good cam that isnt for vtec or dohc.....and that isnt too aggressive something i can use for street and auto cross.....I am also looking for some aftermarket piston rods and pistons some other things if any of you guys know of any websites that cater to the D series tuner let me know since i am haveing a heck of a time finding one.....

But that is pretty much what I am looking at in builing my SOHC Dseries motor mgiht throw some more stuff into the scenario but for right now thats it since I have only spent idk 24hrs thinking about it in total. So tell me what you think any adjustments since I know non-vtec N/a motors can be very nicely tuned to where they produce a respectable amount of horse power....
Thank you
John

Old 09-17-2007, 02:48 PM
Default RE: Tell me what you think about this....

sounds like you put some serious thought into this. i say if you want it, do it. wouldnt be a bad set up. i personally love the VTEC, but hey if you can get good power from that and you like it, go for it. i am interested to see how this comes out? also what car are you putting it in? and you could do this for not alot of money.

Old 09-17-2007, 05:29 PM
HCF Member

Yea thats one of the plus's that comes with working with the D-series engine the money you save from the Bseries could end up bringing the D-series to compete well with the B-series engine......But yea I am planning on doing this in my 1995 Civic Hatch CX which has a D16Z6 in it though I just dont like it not to mention ive had to many problems with the vtec so yea one of the reasons I do not want Vtec......but yea hopfully once i get this thing started I can have my first project thread.....But once again if there is anyone who could throw out some tips in doing something like this as well as aftermarket performance parts for the engine build please let me know since this will be my first ever engine build-up ive done head gaskets and oil pans but never messed with the internals of the head or block........
Thank you

Old 09-19-2007, 07:58 AM
HCF Member

Anyone with cam sites for a y7 since i cannot find one at all everythings vtec......or would a 1988-91 crx si cam shaft work in mine from crane cams? since thats the only nonvtec one ive seen

Old 09-19-2007, 12:34 PM
Recognized HCF Member

www.gude.com has a cam for a d16y7 head

Old 09-19-2007, 02:46 PM

how good is there head package?

Old 09-20-2007, 08:25 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: riceburner700

www.gude.com has a cam for a d16y7 head
Thank you very much now if i could just find myself a price....but yea trying to figure out how to place the engine on the engine stand is proving diffucult cannot find the right bolts for it.....so as to bolt the engine to the plate......anyone have these by any chance and would like to sell them or direct me to what i need to get .....thank you