HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   Throttle body (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/throttle-body-7669/)

joepops 07-18-2005 06:57 PM

Throttle body

Has anyone swapped their throttle body in their engines? What are the benefits?

cartledge 07-19-2005 08:40 AM

RE: Throttle body

I havent put mine in yet but i've just bought one and its on way.

i'm not exactly sure, correct me if im wrong people.

but changing the throttle body can increase the amount of air allowed to the engine. if its just a straight swap (same internal diameter) the benifits i believe will be negliagable. however if you increase the size of the internal diameter (i just got a 70mm!!!!!!) it can allow more air through to the intake manifold, however unless the sizes are matched between the throttle body and intake manifold the maximum gains won't be achieved (although it is said that a larger throttle body diameter than intake manifold diameter increases performance as the air is accelerated when forced into the smaller gap - i have no idea about that argument tho). Lots of places can bore out the intake manifold to a larger diameter for not much at all. mine is being bored to 70mm in the uk for £40 (~$70)

fast93civic 07-20-2005 12:17 AM

I swapped a 68 mm Holley TB, and at the same time replaced my manifold with a Skunk2 that I portmatched to the diameter of the throttle body. The gains I noticed were very noticible. Lower end improved a bit, midrange was stronger, and top end improved for the better. If you're just replacing the TB, and if the diameter is quite a lot bigger that the intake manifold, try to portmatch it for a maximum gain.

sacicons 07-20-2005 12:26 AM

its a couple of horsepower, but the real beauty is in the throttle response. its quicker to react to input from your right foot.

fast93civic 07-20-2005 12:28 AM

Sacicons, I remember you told me this right before I got my stuff on, and man, you damn right.

joepops 07-21-2005 12:34 AM

aight sounds good then huh? How do you portmatch the diameter?

fast93civic 07-21-2005 10:48 AM

You take the throttle body put in up to the manifold, the diameter of the manifold as you would be able to see is smaller than that of a throttle body, take like a pen, and on the inside of the throttle body mark the line on the intake manifold to get the same diameter. Then with a dremel increase the diamter inside the manifold to that of the mark you've made. Doesn't have to be perfect, but do the best you can. The closer you get it the better, this will give you pretty good throttle response.

cartledge 07-21-2005 01:25 PM

or, a machine shop could do it if your worried and have a bit of cash and they could smooth it better, just give them the size you want to increase to

fast93civic 07-21-2005 09:49 PM

yea, what ever floats your boat I guess.

corye03 07-21-2005 11:39 PM

ORIGINAL: fast93civic

The gains I noticed were very noticible.

nice choice of words, lol, good for a chuckle [8D]