HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   Timing Belt Snapped, are the valves hosed? (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/timing-belt-snapped-valves-hosed-71061/)

wookieneck 11-04-2008 08:04 AM

already googled it, looks like you can get 92-95 TPS's all day long. No mention of anything for the 96-00's.

Im off to check ebay.

RonJ 11-04-2008 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by wookieneck (Post 602052)
already googled it, looks like you can get 92-95 TPS's all day long. No mention of anything for the 96-00's.

Im off to check ebay.

First things first. Save money and time by checking whether your TPS is actually bad and needs to be replaced.

wookieneck 11-04-2008 09:02 AM

Testing it will tell me 2 things
1. Is it good at throttle closed?
2. Is it good at WOT?

I know the problem exists somewhere in the middle, if this is indeed the problem and not the ECU itself. So unless I can dig up a non-digital sweep style multi-tester to see if the values are linear I will learn nothing by testing it. In fact the wife just reminded me we already checked that as she was flipping through the hayes manual looking for other things to check for, and saw her posti-notes.
(she reads the directions/I do the work and drink beer)

On a side note I was in the parking lot at work yesterday unplugging the sensor for the final test ride home and one of the co-workers came up asking what the deal was. He has a del sol, and said he has the exact same problem. I asked him what the deal was and he said "I dont know. I have just dealt with it for the last few years"
(so I cant use his car as a donor, which was my first thought:))

RonJ 11-04-2008 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by wookieneck (Post 602060)
Testing it will tell me 2 things
1. Is it good at throttle closed?
2. Is it good at WOT?

I know the problem exists somewhere in the middle, if this is indeed the problem and not the ECU itself. So unless I can dig up a non-digital sweep style multi-tester to see if the values are linear I will learn nothing by testing it. In fact the wife just reminded me we already checked that as she was flipping through the hayes manual looking for other things to check for, and saw her posti-notes.
(she reads the directions/I do the work and drink beer)

Sorry if it seems that I am harassing you. I only want you to avoid replacing parts unnecessarily. I don't think that any of your tests thus far definitively point to the TPS. The TPS tests in the diagram I posted come from the Civic service manual, so doing all of them could be informative, if they haven't already been done. In addition, if you can rent or borrow a good scan tool, then you would be able to assess the linearity of the TPS response to throttle. Check with your local auto parts stores.

wookieneck 11-04-2008 11:40 AM

Heh, "A good scantool" would have to come from a "good" autoparts store and I have nothing of the sort in my area!

I hear you, and I appreciate the input. I might give Honda a shout and see what they would charge to plug her in for a bit.

wookieneck 11-07-2008 12:20 PM

Well Honda has had it for 2 days and they claim they cannot replicate the problem. They have also stated no less than 6 times that there are no codes.
To which I said "duh, if there were codes I would have fixed it. thats why its here."

My gut says that havent even bothered to drive it, they just started it and plugged it in. That or the car just hates me to the point that it will act okay for strangers.

RonJ 11-07-2008 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by wookieneck (Post 602723)
Well Honda has had it for 2 days and they claim they cannot replicate the problem. They have also stated no less than 6 times that there are no codes.
To which I said "duh, if there were codes I would have fixed it. thats why its here."

My gut says that havent even bothered to drive it, they just started it and plugged it in. That or the car just hates me to the point that it will act okay for strangers.

That's frustrating. Perhaps you could call them and ask whether a tech can take a test drive with you driving.