HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   is the tranny shot? (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/tranny-shot-1353/)

induction1 10-16-2004 08:50 AM

is the tranny shot?

when i picked it up the auto trans in my my new 02 ex was slipping a little. the fluid was brown, burnt, varnish, etc. for only 30k mi this fluid looked like it had 100k on it. what general inspection procedures could tell if there is any damage? if it still slips after a fluid change do those trans additives work to prevent such slippage? anything else helps.
thanks

99civic_boosted 10-18-2004 02:00 AM

RE: is the tranny shot?

ORIGINAL: induction1

when i picked it up the auto trans in my my new 02 ex was slipping a little. the fluid was brown, burnt, varnish, etc. for only 30k mi this fluid looked like it had 100k on it. what general inspection procedures could tell if there is any damage? if it still slips after a fluid change do those trans additives work to prevent such slippage? anything else helps.
thanks
I have never opened up a Honda Auto before however I have done a few hundred other imports and domestic. Obviously "brown, burnt, varnish, etc" is not a good thing, but doesn't mean the end of the world. The first thing you will want is to change the filter. Look at it closely for metal shavings along with the bottom of the pan. You will probably find some. A little is normal. Once the filter has been replaced and you don't find massive metal shavings there are two things that I would do.

First - place a very strong flat magnet on the bottom of the tranny pan (some people like to put them inside the pan, but import tranny pans usually do not have a lot of room from the bottom of the pan and the valve body of the tranny) This will help keep the everyday wear and tear metal shaving from circulating through the tranny.

Second - install and good tranny cooler on the car. Auto trannys cool there fluid by running it through a tube in the radiator. Well just how well can hot water cool? Trust me, by installing a T/cooler you will add years to the life of your tranny.

hondabboy 11-01-2004 04:10 PM

Hey man maybe you can help me out here i have a honda civic hb 91' and i just bought a 5 speed tranny from a 88 civic si and i tried to replace the 91 tranny with the 88 tranny to convert it to a 5 speed. well it wouldnt fit because 91 clutch is different the guy i bought it from said that i had to just get a 88 clutch and it'll fit fine. is that true? should i put the 88 clutch in the 88 tranny and put it into the 91 engine or should i just sell the tranny ? please help me!!!

sacicons 11-01-2004 06:37 PM

yeah, it should work as long as you get the clutch that matches the trans, and the flywheel and pressure plate that match the engine. i think the only difference is the input shaft, so it should be fine.