HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   valve job (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/valve-job-34356/)

the_turtle 12-13-2006 12:17 PM

valve job

what consists of a normal valve job? and about how much would one cost?

the reason i ask is because my buddy told me i needed one, because one cylendar makes an odd sound when its cold...and i want to get a port/polish, but was just wondering what all they would do as part of a "normal valve job" i know that the P/P isnt included but just wondering about what the price would be for just the valve job.

Nail I3unny 12-13-2006 01:29 PM

RE: valve job

usually the term 'valve job' is associated with a 3-way valve grind, which makes the valves less restricting to incoming air and adds power.

describe the sound

Remmy 12-13-2006 04:28 PM

I had one recently. You might as well have the whole head redone. It ran me about $400

t34me 12-13-2006 07:58 PM

well, if it making a funny sound, maybe he is talking about valve lash? In that case, you would remove the valve cover and use a feeler guage to adjust the clearance between the retainer and rocker arm. Your honda manual can give you the specs on intake and exhaust clearances. I think intake is .008 and exhaust is .009. You CAN do it yourself, but if your new to mechanic work, you can get someone else to do it.

the_turtle 12-14-2006 11:26 AM

well, the noise is a horrible metal/metal grinding/ticking sound....i would like a new head...but remmy, was that the price of a new rebuilt head? or just a "valve job" i was kinda poking around the idea of buying a head from that "importbuilder.com" guy that remmy used. but, i might just swap to a low mi. Y8 head and wire the Vtec silonoid. Any suggestions?

but if your new to mechanic work, you can get someone else to do it.
my dad was a mechanic for 30 ish. years, but i dont like him...however, im 17 and do all the work to my car myself, and help my buddys too. so i guess i learned alot from him.

t34me 12-14-2006 06:14 PM

hmmm...metal ticking sounds like what i was talking about, valve lash. Before you get a new head, just TRY to get the valves adjusted. After i rebuilt the motor and everything, it sounded like it was about to come apart in the head, horrible gas milage, and not the best performance. But as soon as i got the lash adjusted, it quieted right up and purrs like a kitten. Just try it.

Remmy 12-14-2006 06:30 PM

Or the valves need readjustment... OR if its what I think it is (which is bad) your wrist pins are shot.

the_turtle 12-15-2006 11:15 AM

ORIGINAL: t34me

you would remove the valve cover and use a feeler guage to adjust the clearance between the retainer and rocker arm. Your honda manual can give you the specs on intake and exhaust clearances. I think intake is .008 and exhaust is .009. You CAN do it yourself, but if your new to mechanic work, you can get someone else to do it.
so, how do i adjust it...just tighten the "bolt" or whatever? or lossen to increase/decrase the gap?