HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   Valve Stem Seals (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/valve-stem-seals-62675/)

AgentofDarkness 03-18-2008 09:04 PM

Valve Stem Seals

I am rebuilding the head on my '94 Civic (D15B7) and I need to change the valve stem seals. I got them off, but how do I install them? Is there a special tool or just some trick to get them in?

riceburner700 03-18-2008 09:19 PM

RE: Valve Stem Seals

what i do is get like a 10mm,11mm,or 12mm 1/4 socket which everfits on the seal around the edge but isntbig enough to fit around the guide with a small extention. First start by pressing the new seal as far on straight by hand, then but the socket over the seal and it shouldnt rest on the springs or rubber center that fits around the valve stem. Should rest on the side top of the valve seal and just using a small hammer just tap the seal down until you hear the sound change from tapping it when you know its bottomed out and your done. If you want to make sure the seal is down all the way take a flashlight and look on the inside of the seal and make sure its sitting on the valve guide all around.:DHope this helps

AgentofDarkness 03-19-2008 06:44 PM

Another question, how do you remove the dowel pins on the cylinder head?

riceburner700 03-19-2008 08:16 PM

just grab them with some needle nose pliers, they should just pop out. sometimes you have to use vise grips and clamp onto them/ruining them to get them out

AgentofDarkness 03-19-2008 08:47 PM

Will they need to be replaced then? If they need to be replaced, how much will they run and can they be reinstalled without the use of a press?

riceburner700 03-19-2008 10:27 PM

yeah if you need two more i have tons and tons of them just shoot me an address. No they should pop in and pop out by hand unless there seized in there which is common if the headgasket hasnt ever been changed or the head off the block since the factory

AgentofDarkness 03-20-2008 08:46 AM

I have a questions about the rockers. There are adujusting bolts on the rockers. For some of the rockers the adjusting bolt comes off all the way and for some of the rockers the adjusting bolts turns only a little bit. One the rockers that only turn a little bit, I used a little bit more force on one of the rockers and the nut came all the way off (I turned it by hand, no ratchet needed). Is this normal?

jamned 03-20-2008 09:07 AM

If the nut screws back on, then sure. That nut is there to tighten the adjustment bolts after you've adjusted the valve lash. To adjust the valve lash, you'll need a flathead screwdriver and a crescent wrench/open ended wrench. You use the wrench to loosen the nut, then you turn the screw to make adjustments (you'll also need a feeler gauge to make the adjustments). The clearance between the rocker arm and the valve stem differs between intake and exhaust valves usually, and the specifications should be on a sticker under your hood.

Once you've finished making the adjustments, tighten the nut down while holding the screw still with your screwdriver. Double check the valve clearance with your feeler gauge to make sure that you didn't go too far off while tightening the nut. Let me know if this is clear enough for you.

AgentofDarkness 03-20-2008 09:47 AM

That was clear enough. I knew it was an adjusting bolt, I just didn't know if it was suppose to be able to completly come off since some came off and some didn't. I think some are just a little stuck. Any tips on getting everything together and getting the head back on? I've never done a headgasket or even a timing belt. For bieng the first time me and my buddy have done this, its gone pretty well (knock on wood).

riceburner700 03-20-2008 04:07 PM

just make sure the cam gear is like with the 180 degree marks align with the top of the head and the "UP" mark is facing up. And make sure the bottom end alignment is aligned as well