HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   vtec head. (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/vtec-head-44794/)

AaaronF 05-21-2007 11:58 AM

vtec head.

just a question, dopnt know if i'm going to do it or not, but how much do you guys think it will be to do a head swap, and put a vtec head on there. and does that take my head from sohc to dohc?

cderalow 05-21-2007 12:17 PM

RE: vtec head.

ORIGINAL: AaaronF

just a question, dopnt know if i'm going to do it or not, but how much do you guys think it will be to do a head swap, and put a vtec head on there. and does that take my head from sohc to dohc?

SOHC to DOHC = NO

there is no way to turn a SOHC Honda motor into a DOHC honda motor

StifflersMom 05-21-2007 12:23 PM

ORIGINAL: cderalow

ORIGINAL: AaaronF

SOHC to DOHC = NO

there is no way to turn a SOHC Honda motor into a DOHC honda motor

There is, but we won't go there.

AaaronF 05-21-2007 12:23 PM

oh okay. i wasn't sure. so puting a vtec head on my sohc puts a lot of strain on my engine right? will it destroy my engine, or do you think it will be able to handle it?

danomatic93 05-21-2007 05:17 PM

putting a VTEC head on a non-VTEC civic is done all the time. Search MINI-ME swap. That's what it's called. The cost will vary but here is what you need will appox. prices:

VTEC head: 150
VTEC solenoid: 50
Distributor: 50
ECU: 100

Optional: d16 (VTEC) Intake Manifold: 100

If you do it yourself, labor if free.
If you go somewhere else, well, idk

Oh, and yeah, you can't make a SOHC a DOHC, unless you swap the entire engine.

FlipHKD720 05-21-2007 05:20 PM

the VTEC onto a non-VTEC SOHC swap has been done quite a bit, so its very possible,it'll be about $600-$700 i'm pretty sure, and IMO i'd just stay non-VTEC and use that money for a turbo kit

and the SOHCto DOHC is actually possible, but its compltely custom and like Gene said, lots not go there ;)

StifflersMom 05-21-2007 06:29 PM

I don't know about the astronomical figures of a mini-me swap, I could shop around and have all the parts needed including a converted P06->P28 ECU around 200

danomatic93 05-21-2007 09:34 PM

wow roto, I'd love to see where you're getting the parts from. I'm from Wisconsin and I've gone all over to find parts and they're always gone or cost an arm and a leg.

danomatic93 05-21-2007 09:45 PM

you'll need a different timing belt too, sorry forgot about that. 50 bucks new.

StifflersMom 05-22-2007 04:00 AM

just a little patience and keeping a close eye on ebay and junkyards. I actually get called when a nice honda gets dropped off at my local yard cause I'm friends with the guy:-D