HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   Well new to Hondas!!! (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/well-new-hondas-80044/)

TooTall-89SI 12-27-2009 11:50 AM

Well new to Hondas!!!

Alright well I am new to the whole Honda scene. I come from the SRT-4 scene where I built a fully built Srt. Now it's on to my questions, I bought a clean body 89 civic si I heard it's one of the lightest models. Anywho I have know clue what motors could be swapped into it. I was thinking about fullybuilding a gsr block and head and throwing that in there. Please correct me if I am going in the wrog direction or there is different combos that will produce more power. Thanks Matt

cvcrcr99 12-27-2009 12:17 PM

GSR motors are great for reliable DD's.

What is your budget? How much hp/tq would you like to have when all said and done? Are you going to boost, or keep it NA?

You could look into getting an H22, B20, k20, k24.... the list can go on.

TooTall-89SI 12-27-2009 12:25 PM

True thanks I am looking to boost I want it for a weekend driver. I am looking for somewhere around 400hp. Budget isn't really an issue since I will be doing it piece by piece rather slowly.

cvcrcr99 12-27-2009 12:37 PM

IMO, the h22, and b20 are not good for boost as they have thinner wall sleeves.

If you're aiming for 400hp, I would boost the GSR motor.

You could also build a Ls/vtec (will cost some extra money to build it correctly and reliable), and boost that.

You could also go for a sleeved h22 on boost with an H2B tranny conversion, so you can get a b16 trans. (best trans IMO)

The turbo will also determine what kind of power you will get. What turbo are you looking at getting?

TooTall-89SI 12-27-2009 12:44 PM

Alright cool man thanks for the insight, I was hearing good things about the ls motors, I was planning on sleeving the motor no matter what but idk if it's necessary. Will that tranny be able to hold the much power or would I have to coat the gears or buy aftermarket ones?

I was thinking or running a 35r on it with the Hks wastegate, since hondas can redling at like 10 and my Srts redline is 6200 lol a 35 will make way more power at 10 than a T3/T4 at 30 pounds lol

cvcrcr99 12-27-2009 12:46 PM

Well, I wouldn't push a stock motor to 10k, but it could be done if the entire motor was built and tuned properly to handle it.

Yes, LS (b18b's) are great for boost and should be able to rev out to 10k (if built/tuned properly....can't stress that enough)

TooTall-89SI 12-27-2009 12:54 PM

Ohh yeah I am fullybuilding the block and head no matter what. I think I might go with the ls block. How much do the bare blocks run for? Now just secretly need to find one. Where I live if the Honda kids get word that I am building a block or a car that will be stolen in a matter of days, I found 30 shaved Honda keys in my older BMW that they were trying to steal!

cvcrcr99 12-27-2009 01:01 PM

Wow... That's crazy.

LS blocks can be found for around $200 I believe. However, if you are rebuilding everything, I would try and grab one with a spun bearing (it would probably be around $50-100)

What are you thinking for the head? B16 head? GSR head? Or the LS head? Are you thinking of going with a Vtec set-up or non-vtec?

TooTall-89SI 12-27-2009 01:14 PM

Alright cool I that's not bad at all. Idk what would be the best head to run with the ls? Also what's the advantages and disadvantages of running vtec?

Again thanks for all your help!

cvcrcr99 12-27-2009 01:20 PM

Vtec = more powa in the higher rpms! lol

Vtec essentially allows the valves to open a little more than "normal", thus allowing more air/fuel mixture to enter the chamber before combustion.

For a LS/vtec, either go with a b16 head, or a GSR (b18c) head.