HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   What are the differences in heads???? (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/what-differences-heads-28459/)

zarembad 09-05-2006 08:27 AM

What are the differences in heads????

I have decided to do a mini-me and would like to know the difference in the d16y8 and d16z6 heads. Is one better than the other for this? What is the difference in hp or economy? After changing heads, do the injectors need to be changed to match head? Does the intake have to be changed as well? What are the advantages to doing both?

zarembad 09-05-2006 02:56 PM

RE: differences in heads??

No takers yet??

zarembad 09-05-2006 08:05 PM

RE: differences in heads??

Thanks for the help everybody!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

amg6975 09-05-2006 08:12 PM

RE: What are the differences in heads????

I don't think the intake manifold or plumbing needs to be changed but a Y8 manifold and aftermarket intake wouldn't hurt.

I don't know the exact difference between the Y8 and z6, I think they both put out around 126hp. Most people I think prefer the z6 though.

ef4life 09-05-2006 09:57 PM

a z6 head flows a little better in the higher rpm range, while a y8 has slighly higher compression.

zarembad 09-05-2006 10:34 PM

What would be better for a mini me head swap? Downfalls to both??

Kedawei 09-05-2006 11:37 PM

Taken from another post of mine:

The Z6 head has straight ports while the Y8s are curved, to give the fuel/air a swirl effect. While this gives the Y8 head better fuel atomization and a bump in low to midrange power, the Z6s top end is much better as the mixture can flow quicker (straight shot to the valves, as someone put it on sohchonda).
I don't think the fuel economy is much different, and I don't think the bottom end loses are much with the Z6. The top end gains are good tho. Z6 > Y8 imo.

baker 09-06-2006 12:30 AM

from what i've heard, y8 head is stronger. i don't know if its true.

finalimpact 09-06-2006 12:34 AM

ORIGINAL: Kedawei

Taken from another post of mine:

The Z6 head has straight ports while the Y8s are curved, to give the fuel/air a swirl effect. While this gives the Y8 head better fuel atomization and a bump in low to midrange power, the Z6s top end is much better as the mixture can flow quicker (straight shot to the valves, as someone put it on sohchonda).

those are the only noticable differences in head flow charactoristics that have been notable between the 2. how ever the y8 combustion chamber design is less prone to detonation issues. the design also allows you to use less of a domed piston for better flame propogation. but either head is a good head and i would choose between the 2 wisley based on yoru goals and intentions in the future. personally i like the y8 head since you dont have to modify your non vtec distributor to work with it(bolting up)

Kedawei 09-06-2006 12:41 AM

ORIGINAL: finalimpact

those are the only noticable differences in head flow charactoristics that have been notable between the 2. how ever the y8 combustion chamber design is less prone to detonation issues. the design also allows you to use less of a domed piston for better flame propogation. but either head is a good head and i would choose between the 2 wisley based on yoru goals and intentions in the future.

Yes I knew there was more to it than that, but couldn't think of it. Thanks.