HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   WHAT THE FnCK!!!!! (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/what-fnck-79067/)

islandtuner 10-19-2009 02:36 PM

WHAT THE FnCK!!!!!

This car is really beginning to frustrate the hell out of me. I still haven't gotten the car licensed as yet. I "reset" the ECU as mentioned to clear codes and all that fnck and when I started it afterward the frigging car sounds like a cross between a Old diesel VW Beetle and a friggin Ru Impreza. I am getting absolutely no power and on top of that the biatch is backfiring. WTF is going on. HELP ME PLEASE BEFORE I BLOW THIS MUTHERFUKER TO THE SKY!!!!!

trustdestruction 10-19-2009 02:42 PM

check your ignition timing. Pretty sure that the ECU adjusts the ignition timing a little bit on its own, so if your manual ignition timing is off quite a bit then when you reset the ECU the ignition timing that your ECU has adjusted for over time will go away and the problems you are having can occur.

94civichatchback 10-19-2009 03:08 PM

yea the back firing and no power indicates your timing is off,

islandtuner 10-19-2009 03:39 PM

This car is very lucky that u guys saved it....lol...thanks.
So basically you're saying then that I can manually adjust the timing from the distributor...right?

trustdestruction 10-19-2009 03:45 PM

right. Jump the service connector harness under the dash. Then let the engine warm up to normal temp. Loosen the 3 bolts on the distributor that hold it to the head, and then use the timing light to determine where to turn the distributor to. On the pulley there is a cluster of 3 lines, you want to adjust it so that the pointer on the timing belt cover is aligned with that middle line when the timing light flashes.

94civichatchback 10-19-2009 04:09 PM

it sounds more like mech. timing mbrent had the same problem and i drove down there and fixed it for him, also make sure your belt is tight and your tensioner bolt is tight.

trustdestruction 10-19-2009 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by 94civichatchback (Post 679125)
it sounds more like mech. timing mbrent had the same problem and i drove down there and fixed it for him, also make sure your belt is tight and your tensioner bolt is tight.

If it were the mechanical timing then what would it have to do with the ECU being reset?

94civichatchback 10-19-2009 05:12 PM

well the mech timing seems to be off maybe by a tooth and it was adj by the dizzy then when he reset the ecu it rest the ecu timing back to factory settings. get a timing light and jump the service connector (they thing you jump to pull cel codes) and start the car and adj dizzy to line marks up with light.

i would just to be 100% positive double check the mech timing, make sure its perfect.

trustdestruction 10-19-2009 05:16 PM

The ECU doesn't adjust mechanical timing. Mechanical timing and ignition timing are two separate things.

Mechanical is the relationship between the crank and cam. Ignition timing is the relationship between the cam and the ignition (or you could say between the engine and the ignition, since the mechanical timing should be perfect).

islandtuner 10-20-2009 05:31 AM

Thanks guys.
I know for a fact that the mech. timing is dead on. I checked the TDC points on the CAM and the Crank and they lined up. So it has to be the ignition timing. I'll check that tonight when I get home. How do you jump the connector though?