Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

WHAT THE FnCK!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 02:36 PM
HCF Member
Default WHAT THE FnCK!!!!!

This car is really beginning to frustrate the hell out of me. I still haven't gotten the car licensed as yet. I "reset" the ECU as mentioned to clear codes and all that fnck and when I started it afterward the frigging car sounds like a cross between a Old diesel VW Beetle and a friggin Ru Impreza. I am getting absolutely no power and on top of that the biatch is backfiring. WTF is going on. HELP ME PLEASE BEFORE I BLOW THIS MUTHERFUKER TO THE SKY!!!!!

Old 10-19-2009, 02:42 PM

check your ignition timing. Pretty sure that the ECU adjusts the ignition timing a little bit on its own, so if your manual ignition timing is off quite a bit then when you reset the ECU the ignition timing that your ECU has adjusted for over time will go away and the problems you are having can occur.

Old 10-19-2009, 03:08 PM
Chubby Chaser

yea the back firing and no power indicates your timing is off,

Old 10-19-2009, 03:39 PM
HCF Member

This car is very lucky that u guys saved it....lol...thanks.
So basically you're saying then that I can manually adjust the timing from the distributor...right?

Old 10-19-2009, 03:45 PM

right. Jump the service connector harness under the dash. Then let the engine warm up to normal temp. Loosen the 3 bolts on the distributor that hold it to the head, and then use the timing light to determine where to turn the distributor to. On the pulley there is a cluster of 3 lines, you want to adjust it so that the pointer on the timing belt cover is aligned with that middle line when the timing light flashes.

Old 10-19-2009, 04:09 PM
Chubby Chaser

it sounds more like mech. timing mbrent had the same problem and i drove down there and fixed it for him, also make sure your belt is tight and your tensioner bolt is tight.

Old 10-19-2009, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by 94civichatchback
it sounds more like mech. timing mbrent had the same problem and i drove down there and fixed it for him, also make sure your belt is tight and your tensioner bolt is tight.
If it were the mechanical timing then what would it have to do with the ECU being reset?

Old 10-19-2009, 05:12 PM
Chubby Chaser

well the mech timing seems to be off maybe by a tooth and it was adj by the dizzy then when he reset the ecu it rest the ecu timing back to factory settings. get a timing light and jump the service connector (they thing you jump to pull cel codes) and start the car and adj dizzy to line marks up with light.

i would just to be 100% positive double check the mech timing, make sure its perfect.

Old 10-19-2009, 05:16 PM

The ECU doesn't adjust mechanical timing. Mechanical timing and ignition timing are two separate things.

Mechanical is the relationship between the crank and cam. Ignition timing is the relationship between the cam and the ignition (or you could say between the engine and the ignition, since the mechanical timing should be perfect).

Old 10-20-2009, 05:31 AM
HCF Member

Thanks guys.
I know for a fact that the mech. timing is dead on. I checked the TDC points on the CAM and the Crank and they lined up. So it has to be the ignition timing. I'll check that tonight when I get home. How do you jump the connector though?